BP/W - Crotch Strap - Slide Release or just the loop???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Huff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Moving over to BP/W setup.

I really like the DIR philosophy and would like to keep things simple and comfortable.

I'll be starting off with the DGX single setup.

I'm not seeing too many folks talk about crotch strap (CS) options so thought I would ask the group.

I'll be getting the standard 2" webbing CS with the sewn loop included in my setup BUT almost all the "deluxe" setups I've tried have the slide release on their CS. DGX offers this option on their 1" and 1.5" and I'm wondering if there is any value in getting one with a slide release?

It seems much easier to don/doff on the boat/shore to me.

Just think man, what would be the benefit and for what
and for scooters we're also bolting the crotch straps on

but if you like it

ive not used ones with the release so maybe they have some benefits im not aware of, but i will say ive never had any issues with mine not having it.

I have never had an issue with the don and doff of the crotch strap. You learn the little hip swing dance as I call it. Funny to see but effective. Plus the sewn strap is more secure for use with a scooter.

If not scootering, it doesn't matter.

As to losing parts, you weave it into the buckle. There are ones with slots in a different configuration for this.

YMMV

[QUOTE="Brian Huff, post: 8758110, member: 50923]

I'm wondering if there is any value in getting one with a slide release?

It seems much easier to don/doff on the boat/shore to me.[/QUOTE]

No....and....No..........don't funk it up.

I'll be getting the standard 2" webbing CS with the sewn loop included in my setup BUT almost all the "deluxe" setups I've tried have the slide release on their CS. DGX offers this option on their 1" and 1.5" and I'm wondering if there is any value in getting one with a slide release?

I got this setup recently. Went with the 1.5" sewn loop crotch strap. When trying to figure out the 1.5 vs 2" I read that the wider one was most helpful if you have a DPV but that you needed a chafe guard on it if you were wearing a dry suit. So I went with the 1.5". Fit just fine, no problems donning and doffing.

If you’re doing this specifically for DIR reasons, such as taking a Fundies class (?), it’s probably best to read the book, or ask in a DIR forum so you can start with the right gear. Equipment choices are all part of a well thought out system, one that may not be obvious at first glance. Many so-called “deluxe” features tend to be frowned on because they are thought to create more problems than they solve.

If you’re just looking in general at the BP/W system, called the Hogathian system, then mix and match to your hearts content. The great thing about a BP/W is that it’s modular enough that it won’t be a lot of trouble to ditch all the fancy plastic doodads when you decide that they’re not actually needed.

FWIW, I would get the basic sewn crotch strap, it’s never let me down and I have never felt as though I needed anything different. (Also make sure the BP/W comes with a metal waist buckle and skip any shoulder pads.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom