Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot that anti cave vitriol was in this thread. I tuned that out as wack a doodle. Some people needed other hobbies, than creating vitriol.

(I did not report that, figuring mods were on it. I did report stuff in other threads.)

But three posts above this someone says it's wickedly easy to video student performance while maintaining control of a class.
That's right Ken. I did say that. What's the problem with a Paralenz mounted to your mask strap?

Please enlighten me on how that impacts controlling a class. I'm very curious.

Please enlighten me on how that impacts controlling a class. I'm very curious.
It's still a distraction. I won't use one in OW, save one on the bottom of the pool for special problems.

But three posts above this someone says it's wickedly easy to video student performance while maintaining control of a class.
1) That wasn't me
2) I think there's a huge difference between filming someone working on a backkick vs filming a team of three manage having a cut line, a right post failure, an OOA and a SMB shoot.

For me filming, it was a full time job on the latter. Being in the right place at the right time with the right angle to illustrate - with the explicit understanding that they would need the video to see "what went wrong" was not a simple task. The whole reason I was filming as a DM was to allow the instructor to focus on the class not the camera.

It's still a distraction. I won't use one in OW, save one on the bottom of the pool for special problems.
It is sitting in my mask, and records what you are looking at (the student). How is that a distraction? It requires zero attention on my part.

Many RAID and other instructors use cameras in open water. I still don’t see how it interferes with anything

With one class being an exception, the times I was filmed in class were very insightful. I never felt unsafe even in the good ole days when my instructor was managing a full-size video cam in an ikelite housing.

I think the mask strap or forehead video cams are fine for use in a class, as long as it’s not distracting for the students. That does not take away from the potential level of difficulty for a dedicated videographerdoing a good job. The difference in expectations of the results from a mask strap/forehead cam vs a dedicated videographer can be profound.

With one class being an exception, the times I was filmed in class were very insightful. I never felt unsafe even in the good ole days when my instructor was managing a full-size video cam in an ikelite housing.

There have been deaths as a result of a distracted instructor from cameras. This was the old days though

And once again it boils down to a personal decision.

Don't want your instructor to use a camera during class? Ask them before you spend $$$.
Don't like the answer? Find a different instructor.

It is sitting in my mask, and records what you are looking at (the student). How is that a distraction?
It is for me. I didn't say it was for you. I didn't say it was for Ken. It is for me. But then, I find a snorkel on my mask strap a distraction. There are a lot of things I find distracting, and avoid them while with a student. No need to justify how you teach to me. You do you and I'll do me. Teach and let teach, n'est pas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom