Low Pressure Hose Failure at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe also incorporate a bubble check at the beginning of your descent. Often seen in tech, but no reason not to do in recreational as well. Between 10/20ft, facing buddy, tilt head forward, point to first stage, stop breathing for a moment, get buddy to check for telltale bubbles. Only takes a few seconds. Better to find out then than at depth.

Mmmm...The OP's posted blow-out sounds like another bump for pony bottles...

Anyone know of a up to date table of low pressure hose materials and recommended service life? Posts like these all ways get me thinking about my equipment. I get it serviced as scheduled, but no one is going to kink the hoses looking for signs of impending failure.

Anyone know of a up to date table of low pressure hose materials and recommended service life? Posts like these all ways get me thinking about my equipment. I get it serviced as scheduled, but no one is going to kink the hoses looking for signs of impending failure.
right now the hose market at the oem level is a bit weird.

My best advice is to replace hoses every 5 years. flex or "rubber"

Not aware of a table. I believe there have been some manufacturer recalls. There's probably a thread on it.

There was also a thread in which someone asked about recommended service life. I vaguely recall that most replies suggested that people are using the same hoses for a long time--like 10 years or more. But I suppose it depends on how frequently they are used and how they are stored.

Thanks again to all for the pointers and analysis of the incident. I have posted the video from my mask mounted GoPro at the YouTube link above.

After watching the video i am surprised by how much my memory differed from reality. I truly thought we surfaced in a few seconds. I also truly thought that I didn’t intend to rush to the surface but in the video you will see me thumbing the surface two times. The last thing I was surprised by in the footage is that as soon as I had my buddy’s octo then I went straight to attempting unloading my speargun. (Priorities) I was also surprised my tank keeps going for awhile at the surface as in my head I thought it was empty. Suppose I had already wrote it off as an option.

Dive profile is essentially surface to 80fsw in over a minute and a half. Hose malfunction a minute and half after I hit bottom. Get buddy’s octo 20 seconds after my last breath and at this point we are probably about 60fsw. We break the surface 35 seconds later and my tank blows for another 2 entire minutes at the surface. Took us about 7 minutes to swim to the boat but I left most of that out of the video.

Thanks for posting, definitely some lessons learned there. You did lots right, multiple checks, tightness etc. I whole heartily recommend bubble checks, it’s fast and becomes instinctive after time. Another recommendation I have is to use rock bottom gas calculation, this will concrete in your mind that both you and your buddy have enough air to make a safe, standard ascent. Should reduce some of the panic a bit.

Wow. Great report and great video. I think I would have freaked out too. The noise and bubbles would slow my thinking no doubt.

There was a debate here a few years ago about the importance of a single tank divers need to be able to reach back and shut off the tank valve. I was of the opinion that it wasn't that critical, but I decided to see if I could. I found a trick for my setup (head down, push tank from bottom, turn valve), and it was doable, not easy.

If it's true that newer "rubber" hoses are failing sooner, I think I may need to change my opinion.

Additionally, I agree with others that a pony would be a good addition to your dives.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom