What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sink it as an artificial reef. Raise funds for the Calypso 2.

Let nature win one.

..."Update 12th June 2019. Calypso is safe in her shipyard in Turkey. Once the insurances have settled the damage we will resume the reconstruction. In the meantime she is safely guarded."
A query remains :: how much of the original Calypso will remain in the reconstruction and how much will be replacements? Particularly if all woodwork must be replaced. Same as, the Talyllyn Railway's steam locomotive "Dolgoch" seems to be much more replacement parts than original metal. Dolgoch (locomotive) - Wikipedia

A sad end for an iconic vessel. I never got to sail on it, but I did on Alcyone back in 1984 during the filming of a two hour documentary about the Channel Islands

in one of the you tube vids she is just a hull wrapped up being lifted into a hold of another ship to go to Italy .....not sure why im sure it could have been rebuilt where she was .....im thinking it was to get it away from someone's ability to seize her , I know ownership was a big deal at one time .....years ago she was in tobermory we heard about it and rushed up there.......I was very disappointed at what we saw a rust dripped old ship , one of the crew said they were going to paint her before they started filming like always , she needs to go into a museum it got a lot of people interested in diving ....me included

I have two paperweights that have wood fragments from Calypso that were given to “Friends of Calypso”/ Cousteau Society members who were large donors back in the 1980s.

Sadly, I think the Calypso's condition mirrors that of The Cousteau Society itself. What have they done over the past few years? I'm not aware of much but will be happy to be enlightened.

I think just argue and fight JC was not a very nice man especially to his kids , micheal was very clear on that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom