Accomodation in PDC or Cozumel for diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

a few quick questions to which I did not find an answer yet:

1) Is Cozumel the top diving destination near the Yucatan peninsula?

2) Is it possible to stay at a hotel in Playa del Carmen and get there picked up by the diving ops or doesn't this make any sense and it is absolutely necessary to stay in Cozumel?

Thank you!

2) Is it possible to stay at a hotel in Playa del Carmen and get there picked up by the diving ops or doesn't this make any sense and it is absolutely necessary to stay in Cozumel?
If you stay at a PDC resort, then you'd have to arrange an early taxi to the ferry dock, take an early ferry, take a taxi to the dive Op's pickup, by 8am. Going back is more of the same. It'd ruin each day.

some ops in PDC have fast boats to take you over and dive. Tank Ha being one of them. i used them a couple of years back and thought all the staff were great.

just to repeat what was probably said already.....tank ha runs the only boat that goes across to coz as far as i am aware. we use this shop when in town. contact Matt there. you have a ton of choices of accommodations right near tank ha.
otherwise you need to take the ferry across and hook up with another dive op on the island.
keep in mind that crossing over by boat is weather dependent. the seas can get quite rough near the mainland.
enjoy your trip !!

Hello,

a few quick questions to which I did not find an answer yet:

1) Is Cozumel the top diving destination near the Yucatan peninsula?

Thank you!
1) Yes.

2) Possible? Yes, maybe, but it would add quite a bit to your boat ride and the trip would be mostly on the open ocean rather than through the protected waters in the lee of the island. Some days, depending on conditions, you'd have to stay on the mainland side of the channel, and virtually every day it would be a very rough ride, comparatively speaking. Is it absolutely necessary to stay on the island? Maybe not, but if diving is the main point of your trip, extremely preferable, IMO.

If the goal is to experience the best diving Mexico has to offer....do both.

The reef diving in Cozumel is some of the best in the world. The Cenote diving in PDC/Tulum is some of the best in the world. Totally different styles of diving and cenotes are cooler water, but absolutely beautiful in their own way. Cenotes aren't for everyone, my wife doesn't love them, I try and spend a day diving them every trip (twice a year)

Flying into Cancun is frequently cheaper and there are more flights daily so it may be more convenient schedule wise as well. Fly into Cancun and take a bus/private van/cab to PDC. Spend a day diving Cenotes with Cenote Xperience.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Then hop on the ferry and head to Cozumel. We dive with Aldora and stay at Casa Mexicana in town. We are not fans of resorts in Cozumel because there is so much to do, and so much great food, in town. There are so many different reefs you could spend a month diving and not see all of them.... not to mention they change daily, if not hourly. I could spend a week diving Cedral 3 times a day and still see something new on every dive.

Aldora divers | only the best of Cozumel

When it's time to return, head back for another day of Cenotes (if you love them like I do) or maybe diving with the rays or whale sharks (depending on the time of year) off of Isla Mujeres, then to the Cancun airport for your next destination.

Good luck,
Safe travels.

Jay

Flying into Cancun is frequently cheaper and there are more flights daily so it may be more convenient schedule wise as well.
That approach has never saved me enough to consider, but he is coming from Germany so it may well be his best plan. Many Europeans hate changing planes in the US, dealing with our I&C.

Unless you are stuck using a timeshare in PDC, Cozumel is your destination. Most all the resorts have gone all inclusive which is a rip off if you are active and away from the resort, Cozumel resorts are the same way. Aldora Divers has a 7 night partner hotel and 5 days diving w/free nitrox for under $700.00 US. I dive with them most of the time and thay are among the best. they have high capacity tanks too. I always fly into Cancun, rent a car, ferry it over and cruise the island... beats the bag drag, but that is workable if you have the time. The most direct way, but could be more expensive is to fly directly to Cozumel, taxi to the hotel. You may have a little more flexibility with Cenote diving since they start later and you can ferry to PDC, and most operators will pick you up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom