It's good to have a trilobite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I first started diving I got a cool titanium knife with a strap to attach it to my leg - like I was freaking Laura Croft! I think I used it on one dive (anyone want to buy a cool knife?). I scoured ScubaBoard for practical tools to carry that would be helpful and easy to use and decided on the trilobite.

This last trip I noticed the DM working to get a lure and fishing line unwound from some coral and calmly offered my trilobite. He used it and returned it to me, giving me that Hawaiian hand signal for 'thanks' and I returned it to its little pouch without slicing myself or anyone else! If you dive Kona you know there's surge - and if you knew me personally you'd know that deploying a knife in surge would be a really bad idea. But the trilobite was perfect. I also used it to open a bag of chips! :wink:

So thanks ScubaBoard friends. This was a good purchase. Now back to the knife ... a few extra pair of fins ... an extra computer ... they may be listed someday if I get around to it!!

It's good to have a trilobite

It's better to have 2! I carry one each arm. Shears in the pouch.

I Used mine in Cuba to free a sea turtle trapped in a net. He was on his way out of this world and offered no resistance when we got to him. Another diver had a knife that was about butter knife sharp, the trilobite went through the net like nothing was there. A rather boring dive turned into a top ten dive in a matter of seconds. I also carry a small knife and trauma shears. If one cutting device is good....three is more more gooder....

Makes a great gift for you and any other divers you know too....

DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath (Select Color) | Dive Gear Express®

And since you are ordering....

DGX Titanium EMT Shears | Dive Gear Express®

Safe travels everyone.
Jay

Trilobites ROCK! So multifunctional and they are amazing for cutting through kelp entanglements. Mine has seen many uses.
As @outofofficebrb says, they do require a bit of maintenance to minimize rusting. I try to be conscious of rinsing mine with fresh water after dives, but am not always faithful. Fortunately, they come with a number of spare/replaceable blades and even when a bit rusty, still cut through fishing line like butter.

I also have those same Titanium Shears that @Jayfarmlaw has. Bought mine with the accompanying waist belt sheath.
Great product.

My kit includes a Trilobite, stainless shears, and a folding knife.

The first two due to advice from this Board.

I don't have a Trilobite but I do have a letter opener with a SS blade. It gets a little rusty if I leave it in the pouch. OTOH my girlfriend has a cheap Blue Reef folding SS knife and she never rinses it or takes it out of it's pocket and it has no sign of rust and is still sharp. I'm amazed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom