Calm-headed response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.., the ability to think thru issues...
Do you think she still tipped the DM she helped at the end of the day ?? :flowers:

I'm curious the experience of the whole group (not just the DM). They all kept their cool....

Ok, let me start by saying that I absolutely agree that the DM showed great poise and calm, and handled the situation admirably. But I have to quibble a little with two things: first, I'm not sure it's best practice to take off one's BCD at depth and would like others' thoughts. I get that he did it to see what the problem was, but I don't think this is a good idea/best practice for most divers, since then you have to carry/hold the rig (as he did), which complicates breathing from your buddy's octo. Which brings me to my second point: was surprised at no Roman handshake, but again that may have been a function of having to maneuver the BCD (see first point). Thoughts?

first, I'm not sure it's best practice to take off one's BCD at depth and would like others' thoughts. I get that he did it to see what the problem was, but I don't think this is a good idea/best practice for most divers,
Being able to remove and replace BC while maintaining control of buoyancy, orientation, and depth is a skill to be mastered in open water class, per Padi.

Clearly this diver was very calm. And kept their other divers calm.

I was really hoping to see if he inflated the SMB with his leaking first stage.

Yep, I think that illustrates his whole attitude -- calm, in control of the situation, continuing to make use of the leaking regulator, etc.

Being able to remove and replace BC while maintaining control of buoyancy, orientation, and depth is a skill to be mastered in open water class, per Padi.

Clearly this diver was very calm. And kept their other divers calm.

Indeed, but not, to my recollection, taught in connection with an OOA situation where one needs to either buddy-breathe or breathe from buddy's octo. Has this changed? Again, seems to greatly complicate things.

Indeed, but not, to my recollection, taught in connection with an OOA situation where one needs to either buddy-breathe or breathe from buddy's octo. Has this changed? Again, seems to greatly complicate things.
In terms of them going with self assessment and resolution instead of giving OOA sign and getting air from buddy. They were a pro, with perhaps clients that were new. They may have felt dealing with it themself instead of involving the clients would be a calmer approach. A view well born out by their success.

In terms of them going with self assessment and resolution instead of giving OOA sign and getting air from buddy. They were a pro, with perhaps clients that were new. They may have felt dealing with it themself instead of involving the clients would be a calmer approach. A view well born out by their success.

Once again, totally agree, that's clearly what happened here--guy super professional, diving with (likely) newbies (or close thereto), had it completely handled by himself.

My question is, for us non-DM divers (I am Rescue/Master but not DM), is this recommended?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom