Exploring some of Lake Superiors first docks (ruins)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks cold. What exposure suit do you wear for that site?

Looks cold. What exposure suit do you wear for that site?
I am using a 5mm suit. I'll use it until the water dips into the 40s. Right now its still around 55.

Glad you like the video!

Liked the video ?
As usual you and your video were top notch !
You never disappoint !
I enjoyed every frame.

I am reminded of my number 1 daughter

About 35 or so years there was a huge storm in SoCal that blew down a local pier.
My daughter was and still is very enterprising, so'
She and several of her tribe dove on the pier and salvaged several select pilings
They brought them home, used my wood working equipment sawed then in to small pieces sanded them, clear coated them
They pooled their money made commemorative plaques which they attached

Set up shop on the beach and sold then to the locals...

Just a thought ? enough tourist in your area who would like a hunk of the pier ? or a hunk of 100 year old coal ?

Keep up the great work

SAM

Liked the video ?
As usual you and your video were top notch !
You never disappoint !
I enjoyed every frame.

I am reminded of my number 1 daughter

About 35 or so years there was a huge storm in SoCal that blew down a local pier.
My daughter was and still is very enterprising, so'
She and several of her tribe dove on the pier and salvaged several select pilings
They brought them home, used my wood working equipment sawed then in to small pieces sanded them, clear coated them
They pooled their money made commemorative plaques which they attached

Set up shop on the beach and sold then to the locals...

Just a thought ? enough tourist in your area who would like a hunk of the pier ? or a hunk of 100 year old coal ?

Keep up the great work

SAM

Hey Sam, glad you liked the video. I may just grab a few pieces of coal the next time I swim by there.

The lumber is another thing. I may have to look into that. I did have similar thoughts. I wonder if a log cabin company would be interested in purchasing some.

Do you have photos of the plaques? That is a great story! If it isn't too much trouble to get a permit, I may just snag some for myself!

More videos to come.

Don

@Diverdon
My daughters plaque making was probably 35 or more years ago. Since that time she has competed a doctorate, moved to Australia and is now retired-- No plaques ! But many fond and fun memories of my daughter and her early enterprises...

As I recall it was a hunk of wood with a brass name plate glues on with the name of the pier and the date inscribed on it...

Never the less they sold all their inventory in several weeks. The last week sales and the novelty began waning so the didn't male any more plaques.

Now it is time for Diverdon enterprises to consider a marketing plan ?

Sam

Don't forget to search the perimeter that is a good "stone's throw" from the original structure. People throw the most amazing things off of piers. (Dock vs. Pier, some people care about the distinction, I don't.) Found an old brass urn once. It took about 10 seconds to realize what it was. Still there (No thank you, very much!)

I love local divers, they see the sport from a more pioneering viewpoint...

@Diverdon
My daughters plaque making was probably 35 or more years ago. Since that time she has competed a doctorate, moved to Australia and is now retired-- No plaques ! But many fond and fun memories of my daughter and her early enterprises...

As I recall it was a hunk of wood with a brass name plate glues on with the name of the pier and the date inscribed on it...

Never the less they sold all their inventory in several weeks. The last week sales and the novelty began waning so the didn't male any more plaques.

Now it is time for Diverdon enterprises to consider a marketing plan ?

Sam

I like that idea, Sam. Maybe I can add my logo to one side and a rendition of Lake Superior on the other?

Great video. I just showed my wife your yooperlite video. She asked when we can make the trip north to go yooperlite diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom