Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, that's what he said in the class.
Did you use long hoses and share gas in wreck class?
Did JC use a long hose in that class?

Did you use long hoses and share gas in wreck class?
Did JC use a long hose in that class?

I had standard Hogarthian setup with long hose (he trains you with what you are used to diving with, within reason). I can't remember if JC had it, but we did do a gas share, including one with a blackout mask, as he mentioned in that blog post. It was a while ago, can't remember all of the details.

is that a joke? every day CCR divers dive "planning" team bailout. Because a 40 is not gonna cut it at 60-70 m on the wall and in fact I know of one "huge team" CCR dive in Cayman where it literally took almost 10 CCR divers carried BO to get a diver to the roof alive. So, team bailout worked... ;-)

Hi Chris,

I'm curious what dive you are referring to, and why you chose that video? That particular dive that video was made from was shot at depths shallower than 130 feet. I was the one who shot it.

Important to remember, Divetech's ownership and senior management has changed in 2015. While it may have been commonplace to see AL40's on deep dives, this has not been allowed at Divetech since 2016 - all divers doing sub-60m dives must carry AL80's.

Tony

Hi Chris,

I'm curious what dive you are referring to, and why you chose that video? That particular dive that video was made from was shot at depths shallower than 130 feet. I was the one who shot it.

Important to remember, Divetech's ownership and senior management has changed in 2015. While it may have been commonplace to see AL40's on deep dives, this has not been allowed at Divetech since 2016 - all divers doing sub-60m dives must carry AL80's.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Thanks for chiming in. That's a great policy change and happy to hear, also happy to hear that that dive wasn't an example of deep team gas with 40's.

The dive I am referring to was in Cayman and further back.

That's a story about a clown. Let's not go to extremes. I get that he believes that complete self reliance is important. I agree. People should have to be able to handle buddy separation and make it to the surface alive with all deco obligations met. The guy in that story was a statistic waiting to happen and did happen.

Hence, I see no applicability to the discussion at hand.

The question I'm asking is, does JC in the advanced wreck course teach air sharing or not? Again, only people who have taken the course are qualified to answer. I'm not interested in anyone's extrapolation from what they read on JC's website or anywhere else, unless it is a definitive answer to that question.

Yes - he covers it more in the ITT class that I only witnessed a portion of but I was in the wreck, an, deco, tri mix classes - gas sharing is covered

Yes - he covers it more in the ITT class that I only witnessed a portion of but I was in the wreck, an, deco, tri mix classes - gas sharing is covered

It is discussed in class. How is it done in-water during class? Is there any variance in technique depending on which class is being conducted?

Just out of curiosity, what other instructors have you had for advanced technical courses? What is your basis for comparison between Chatterton and other instructors?

I personally really like the philosophy of depending on no one, you tend to be less disappointed in life - I carry that over to diving.

I too will help anyone anywhere anytime but we either gonna figure this out and work together or you can have this bottle and make a go of it for yourself, you are not killing me.

I think the team/buddy planning is great until things get upside down and the team or buddy doesn’t hold up their end - is just as soon be responsible for myself.

While I don’t mind overhead wreck or what I’ll call extended cavern diving - I dive probably more conservative than most - life is good and I’d really like to see tomorrow.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom