Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - he covers it more in the ITT class that I only witnessed a portion of but I was in the wreck, an, deco, tri mix classes - gas sharing is covered
Please don't take this as aggressive, but I didn't ask about his ITT course. Did he, or did he not teach you to share gas in the advanced wreck course? There's so much noise on this thread and I'm trying to cut through it.

Just out of curiosity, what other instructors have you had for advanced technical courses? What is your basis for comparison between Chatterton and other instructors?
It'll be interesting to see if you fet an answer. It seems like alot of people have been getting their feelings hurt if you question the skillset/instruction they've had in these threads

Just out of curiosity, what other instructors have you had for advanced technical courses? What is your basis for comparison between Chatterton and other instructors?

That’s a great point - I’m only thru tri mix, never took itt and those were thru John.

With that said, I’ve dove with two other instructors teaching an/deco (virtually the whole class) and seen their class materials - another instructor wanted to teach it but he really teaches nothing newer than 2000, the few I’ve meet that went thru his class really struggle in the technical sense.

I can’t count the number of rec instructors I’ve witnessed - some are great, some barely teach you anything.

My goal was to dive 150-170’ max but mostly in the 100-130 range just extending bottom time. After the wreck class, yea that peaks my interest somewhat too.

I looked high and low for an instructor, I just didn’t want another BS class, I wanted to learn something - I wanted to be challenged. Up to that point, the DM class was the only slight challenge I had faced. I understand slightly this gotta dive pretty stuff - I do that already, I’m not tooting my own horn - buoyancy and trim picking up and dropping is not a problem, boom drills neutral are easy somewhat, I suck at stowing a 7’ hose in side mount but maybe one day the clouds will part.

I completed the TDI stuff online and truthfully, it wasn’t really that much, for me that is - I like the physics portion of diving, I wanted someone relate all that into technical real world diving, something they had done. The idea that it was a little bit of outside thinking makes it so much the better - realistically, the mainstream line of thinking is out there for everyone to see, read about and witness - it’s the outside thinking that you don’t hear about because it causes scandles such as this.

Of the four diving classes I took, I feel somewhat lacking in tri mix but he’s there to answer questions - I don’t dive that way much anyways but it’s something I want to know better than what I know now - I don’t even know that I could tell you what was lacking. The diving skills, lack of focus on diving skills - that doesn’t bother me at all because I’m confident in my diving skills, aside from the long hose thing.

So back to the point of your question, what would I have learned differently from a different instructor - focusing more on the skills wasn’t what I needed or wanted. I feel I got a great first hand real person understanding of the deco physiology, I learned a lot about stress and prevention, dive planning etc.... I’m just not confident that the average instructor would have given me the what I call extra outside the book real world stuff. Yes, the dive skills are important, aside from the valve drills, I don’t remember much else being new and that’s stuff you can go thru the motions on your own doing.

I’m typing on my phone, dealing with contractors and my Spanish sucks - I’ll answer more later tonight

I learned awesome full contact wreck diving from JC, early this year I dove with him on the AD, pretty epic for me. Wreck diving can look ugly to some but it is what it is.

Please don't take this as aggressive, but I didn't ask about his ITT course. Did he, or did he not teach you to share gas in the advanced wreck course? There's so much noise on this thread and I'm trying to cut through it.

I do believe I answered the question:

Yes - he covers it more in the ITT class that I only witnessed a portion of but I was in the wreck, an, deco, tri mix classes - gas sharing is covered

How is this not a massive red flag for someone looking for an instructor...?
Honestly, how many bodies are you interested in recovering? One or two?

You don’t have agree with JC, but this is a very valid perspective. If you need to air share in 200 fsw, are you going to have enough gas to both fully deco?

You don’t have agree with JC, but this is a very valid perspective. If you need to air share in 200 fsw, are you going to have enough gas to both fully deco?

I have always planned to have enough gas to airshare up to the first deco gas yes. No underwater combat required to survive. That was part of every decompression (and cave, and wreck) class I ever took - presumably because its part of every agency's standards

It'll be interesting to see if you fet an answer. It seems like alot of people have been getting their feelings hurt if you question the skillset/instruction they've had in these threads

I'm sorry to be brutally honest with you here but just maybe you should look in the mirror - it seems you're one of the ones all bent out of shape because of a dive video showing people kneeling

Some have tried to explain the scope of the class but it seems anything outside of perfect form makes others a lesser diver, whether it be the form the diver shows, how the divers rig is situated or the gas he chooses to breathe.

I'm not going to go back and search for it - but somewhere 100 pages ago in talking about CO2 - someone said something about it being OK to grab a hold of a rock if you felt winded. I made a smart assed comment about it that you should come down here and learn drift diving cause you shouldn't have to grab onto things but that's all it was. Here - you touch nothing period - in a cave that you can touch stuff, heck I'm sure it's fine to sit on rocks or whatever..... It's the time and the place - either grabbing a rock is just as bad as kneeling in that situation or they're both OK - you can't have it both ways.

Instead of belittling folks - you may just get a little farther with people by adjusting your tone. You may not agree with the reasoning, the actions or methods - that's perfect, it's a big world, lot's of water and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom