How Do You Guys Travel with Your Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My old Nikonos V with 1 strobe would travel in one small bag I'd throw in with my dive bag. Haven't done this in years but the new rig is going to roughly consist of:

Nauticam housing for a Sony A6500
Couple Sea and Sea DS2J strobes
Port and extension ring for a macro lens
A couple more extension rings
A 6" dome port
Usual extension arms, clamps, etc etc
That's about it for the foreseeable future.

All of the terrestrial gear, camera, lenses, etc will be in a separate bag.

What do you guys like best? A rolling case with a handle? Backpack mode? Anyone have roughly the same gear that can recommend a specific brand/model?

Thanks! Chris

I use the ThinkTank International 3.0. I always have a backpack for my personal items. I travel to Southeast Asia extensively twice a year for diving and take 7-8 flights each time and blow past the 7kg limits all the time. My camera bag alone is 16kg. When I am told to check it if they bother weighing it, all I do is unzip and show them what it is and they let me take it on. It serves its purpose well in being protective and mobile (wheeled) without standing out to be camera specific baggage. It locks and also can be tethered to something so there are no run and grabs. It fits in small overhead compartments and under seats in smaller planes like commuter jets. The company has excellent customer service. Expensive bag, but solidly built and a lot if it has user replaceable parts which will extend the life.

I have a RX100IV, housing, all hardware and accessories, 2 YS-D2s, all batteries, wide angle lens plus dome, macro lens, chargers, video light, dive light. Everything fits in there. Even my laptop. The only thing that doesn’t fit is my intl surge protector.

Sounds like you aren’t cramming as much stuff as me so look at their backpacks or consider getting it and combining it to 1 bag. Their stuff is quality and well made.

I use the ThinkTank International 3.0. I always have a backpack for my personal items. I travel to Southeast Asia extensively twice a year for diving and take 7-8 flights each time and blow past the 7kg limits all the time. My camera bag alone is 16kg. When I am told to check it if they bother weighing it, all I do is unzip and show them what it is and they let me take it on. It serves its purpose well in being protective and mobile (wheeled) without standing out to be camera specific baggage. It locks and also can be tethered to something so there are no run and grabs. It fits in small overhead compartments and under seats in smaller planes like commuter jets. The company has excellent customer service. Expensive bag, but solidly built and a lot if it has user replaceable parts which will extend the life.

I have a RX100IV, housing, all hardware and accessories, 2 YS-D2s, all batteries, wide angle lens plus dome, macro lens, chargers, video light, dive light. Everything fits in there. Even my laptop. The only thing that doesn’t fit is my intl surge protector.
I’m just going to travel with you....I’ll just bring a carryon :wink:

Sounds like you aren’t cramming as much stuff as me so look at their backpacks or consider getting it and combining it to 1 bag. Their stuff is quality and well made.

That may be the ticket for me - thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

If you don't need wheels, have a look at the Lowepro ProTactic 450. I put together some pictures of it for a friend a while back...

The bag itself weighs less than the ThinkTank, leaving more allowance for camera stuff.

Camera bag

If you don't need wheels, have a look at the Lowepro ProTactic 450. I put together some pictures of it for a friend a while back...

The bag itself weighs less than the ThinkTank, leaving more allowance for camera stuff.

Camera bag

I'll check it out - thanks!

Chris

I put my camera and a lens inside the housing, then pack everything in a Pelican Storm case.
_DSC0983.JPG

I use a ThinkTank roller bag as well with a Nikon DSLR & Nauticam housing. I don't put my camera in the housing any more (used to) because I found it can cause alignment issues over time. I put some ziplock-bagged cables and other light small parts inside the housing. The bumps and jolts during transport can bend the mounting tray. Camera and 8" dome port go in a back pack or with the clothing bag.

I do a few trips every year where I can drive to the destination and I just use a big pelican case for those trips.

Back
Top Bottom