Apeks FSR first stage, when did they update it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't wait. Seems to work fine. IP locks solid. can't check for air leaks, but I'll dive it Saturday and see. I'll check cracking after dinner.

CC9D14B8-EB52-4DFE-A624-B8486899D62D.jpeg

Thinking about it logically there must be a reason why Apeks specify compatibility. I'm going to guess it's about flow rate and that the newer version body's have machine differences.

The only way to be sure (?) would be to test the flow out of the 5th port on both versions and compare.

On the face of it I'd not recommend using the 5th port with older models until a definitive answer can be found and/or flow rates have been compared and are the same/similar. Just because it fits doesn't mean it should be used.

I will pull my new FSR apart and attempt a thorough comparison, visually at least.

Are there any other tests I can perform to check functioning?

Happy to be educated by those who have a better understanding than me.

Degenerate has on the pre 2013 FSR XTX200.,

The one I fitted was the kit specifically for FSR, I know the kit for DST is a bit different because I was mistakenly sent them when I ordered the kits for my FSR.
I am also pretty sure that the kit for FST is a different one as I can order them separately.
If there is an actual difference I have no idea, I'm not very clued in on regulators but I know that my older FSR has worked flawlessly with the 5th port despite the Apeks manual for the kit said I shouldn't have installed it.
Breathes great and doesn't leak.

Really enjoying the turn this thread took as I too have questioned why they would advise against installing it on the pre 2013 version, if they ask me I'll say it works like a charm :D

Here is the verbatim response from Aqualung America:

"The flow paths of the facelifted 2013> body was changed to accommodate the 5th port. If the 5th port is added to a pre-2013 model it will effectively limit balancing of the HP seat and cause major flow rate issues. This is a major no no."

So, even if it hasn't caused any trouble for you yet, it sounds like you may eventually bump up against the limitations of your non-spec ad-hoc DIY configuration and regret it.

Here is the verbatim response from Aqualung America:

"The flow paths of the facelifted 2013> body was changed to accommodate the 5th port. If the 5th port is added to a pre-2013 model it will effectively limit balancing of the HP seat and cause major flow rate issues. This is a major no no."

So, even if it hasn't caused any trouble for you yet, it sounds like you may eventually bump up against the limitations of your non-spec ad-hoc DIY configuration and regret it.

Thanks for getting more info on it!
I wont take these regs on any demanding dives, matter of fact is I will be selling them soon-ish but was still curious.
Ive used this setup down to 32m without issues so far, Im having a hard time seeing how a problem would suddenly develop from the added 5th port?
In the anser you got it sounds like the issue would be something that presents itself immediately, no?
Im still not buying the risk outlined, it has worked flawless so far and I cant see why it wouldnt continue doing so.
Maybe there would be issues with gas flow if going deeper, but I dont plan on taking these any deeper. :)

I have no intention of trying to interpret that MFGR statement to try and define a "safe zone" of operation. I take it at face value, and do not choose whether or not to "buy" that explanation. They are the design engineers, not me.

You say you are selling that 1st stage soon, but you don't say you will also first remove your non-spec modification before passing it on to a buyer. DO THAT!!! Please do not sell it "as is" even if you include your narrative of "it said not to do this, but I did it anyway and haven't had a problem." Please, please, do NOT be the one to put the beware in "buyer beware."

I have no intention of trying to interpret that MFGR statement to try and define a "safe zone" of operation. I take it at face value, and do not choose whether or not to "buy" that explanation. They are the design engineers, not me.

You say you are selling that 1st stage soon, but you don't say you will also first remove your non-spec modification before passing it on to a buyer. DO THAT!!! Please do not sell it "as is" even if you include your narrative of "it said not to do this, but I did it anyway and haven't had a problem." Please, please, do NOT be the one to put the beware in "buyer beware."

Of course I will remove the 5th port on the pre 2013 stage before selling it!
I don't mind taking risks that affect myself, but I wouldn't want to impart that on someone else ever.
I might send it along in the buy separately and inform them about how it is, and then they can research it and make a decision about it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom