It's good to have a trilobite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for ceramic bladed Trilobite, but never had to use it yet.
I've used my stainless steel shears a few times. A great cutting tool. Have to be vigilant with the rinsing and WD40 though or a little rust appears by the handle. If I had seem that titanium version, I would have gone with that for sure.

It's good to have a trilobite

It's better to have 2! I carry one each arm. Shears in the pouch.
Because I dive sidemount, I have my cutting tools on my Shearwaters (one on each arm). On my right arm, I have the trilobite and the controller for my heated vest. On my left, I have one of those Aqualung squeeze lock tools. I have used both while diving. The tool has a smallish blade compared to a BFK. Useful for when getting a leg caught in kelp and I pretend I'm Scuba Rambo to free myself. I could add a trilobyte to my left arm on my Shearwater, but that may be excessive.

When you say "shears in the pouch", you mean in your butt pouch? Do I guess correctly that you dive sidemount?

My DGX version has a ceramic blade. Cheap, no rust, sharp as hell and came with a spare blade.

The only downside of ceramic is that they are brittle. Stainless steel can be rusty, but still sharp.

I use my Trilobite a lot when cleaning the reefs while diving. It really came in handy when a mama Loggerhead had fishing line wrapped around the end of her carapace and couldn't detangle herself. A couple cuts of the line and mama was free!

I Used mine in Cuba to free a sea turtle trapped in a net. He was on his way out of this world and offered no resistance when we got to him. Another diver had a knife that was about butter knife sharp, the trilobite went through the net like nothing was there. A rather boring dive turned into a top ten dive in a matter of seconds. I also carry a small knife and trauma shears. If one cutting device is good....three is more more gooder....

Makes a great gift for you and any other divers you know too....

DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath (Select Color) | Dive Gear Express®

And since you are ordering....

DGX Titanium EMT Shears | Dive Gear Express®

Safe travels everyone.
Jay
Bless you...

The only downside of ceramic is that they are brittle.
IOW, ceramic blades are rather well suited for a tool kept as a backup, seldom used, but not as well suited for a tool you expect to use regularly.

I have a ceramic blade trilobite. So far, I haven't used it in anger. Not having to maintain it is a plus in my book since it's a backup tool. My calf-mounted 15cm/6" blade stainless steel BFK, on the other hand, is my #1 underwater multitool and is used - and thus maintained - regularly.

I started with a BFK, and have added a Trilobite, shears, and at times a small sharp knife. It really depends on what you are going to run into on a dive. The additions were made to deal with different threats with overlapping solutions, and placed to have a cutting device available even if I was unable to get at one.

My reason to add devices was getting tangled in an illegal long line, trotline to some, off the NorCal coast in low viz. It took a while to realize it wasn't just some kelp drag, and luckily I had plenty of air so I could work at depth. I cut myself out with the BFK, afterwards I started looking at other solutions which would be more efficient.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom