How to close a drysuit with a carabiner and a car door

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am struggling to find a tool of the same kind but I really didn't find any...also because I don't know how you would call this object in English and I didn't find anything by Googling its image
I am jealous of that tool now I really would like to get one
If any anybody can find a similar one for sale or at least the exact name of this sort of object I would be very grateful...
I don't know how would you call it either, it is from the mid 90's and I want to say it was marketed for big dogs. Like I said earlier, I have no clue how it was intended to be used.

It is a metal tube, bent at one end for the handle,. and the real beauty is an internal spring that connects the trigger by the handle with the clip at the opposite end.

and the real beauty is an internal spring that connects the trigger by the handle with the clip at the opposite end.

Yes, exactly, that’s what I like of it

There is significant difference in ''thinking'' you've done something right...and ''knowing'' you've done something right...DIR..

I’m afraid you and @Stoo are right... and repairing zippers is not cheap

I'm pretty sure that back entry drysuits were the reason the buddy system thrived.
Even with a front zip, it's rather nice to have a buddy helping you pull the zipper the first few centimeters from atop/behind the shoulder to the front of the shoulder. Those first few centimeters are a bit of a drag (pun not intended).

Even with a front zip, it's rather nice to have a buddy helping you pull the zipper the first few centimeters from atop/behind the shoulder to the front of the shoulder. Those first few centimeters are a bit of a drag (pun not intended).

Agreed. That is the one thing that I like about plastic zippers... so much more flexible.

The best way to avoid this is to either have your partner zip you up...advising them to be careful that the zipper does not get snagged...or buy a self donning front zipper suit...

There is significant difference in ''thinking'' you've done something right...and ''knowing'' you've done something right
My best way for a couple of decades regardless of having a partner or going solo, was to be careful while suiting up. I used a lanyard before finding the tool I showed. I also kept the zipper conditioned on all the suits I owned, it didn't take much to wax them regularly.
Never cared for the front entry suits, and I couldn't imagine having to rely on anyone to suit up.
I knew I did it right because 1- there was no water leaks and 2- didn't have issues with the zipper.

Moot point now, I don't dive waters colder than mid 70's F ...preferably 80's. If it requires more than a 3 mil with a hood I'll pass, also pass with air temps below 60-50F. I had it with cold.

Two suits, back zip when with buddy, front when solo.

I agree to a certain point.
I'm a lazy bastard so I tend to be a bit too relaxed about waxing my zipper often enough.
When it's recently waxed it will close very easily all the way, but 2-3 dives later the first few centimeters will indeed be a bit of a drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom