Blue Stone Dive Resort - review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove there last weekend and the visibility was around 10-15 ft. Temps were in the low to mid 70s down to the thermocline at around 25 ft then dropped to the upper 60s. I did drop down to 50 ft once and the temp was around 62.

That was my first time diving at BS this year. I found they have placed another helicopter in the quarry near the original one. If you enter from the lighthouse end, just go straight out under the pier and follow the ropes across the training platforms to the cruiser, then follow the wall around. Once the old quarry road comes up, you can't miss it as it's sitting across the road in 25 ft of water. The other one is just beyond it about 50 ft.

BTW, if it's not too cold for you, when returning from the helicopters, follow the road down to around 30-35 ft and you should find the toilets. They're about 20 ft from the wall.

How was the visibility? Temperature at depth? We are thinking of trying for next weekend.
1st dive vis was around 15', using the lighthouse entry point and heading out along the north wall. A small silt cloud around Trojan boat, otherwise no impact from other divers in the water. Computer says, temp in the mid to upper 70s down to 25', dropping to mid 60s below 30'. As spoiled cold sensitive water weenies, we did not spend much time below 25' or venture below 32' despite new 5mm suits and hoods.

2nd dive was from lighthouse and then along south wall. A nice comfortable mid to upper 70s all the way, cruising along the edge of the thermocline at 25'. Perhaps the lighting at that time of the day, but vis seemed a little better, I could clearly see ripples and shadows from vegetation on the surface looking up from 20'.

My son, friend and I just finished more lessons at Blue Stone. The trick is to get there at 9 am when the silt is settled. Once the sun comes out and the algae releases viz drops a good deal. If you hang out around the lighthouse in the afternoon viz will drop to a few feet since it's shallow and that's where the confined OW courses are held.

All in all it's a fantastic place. Janet the owner also owns Blue Dolphin Dive Shop in Winston Salem / Clemmons and a nicer group of people you can't find.

Blue Stone closes down for the season I think sometime at the end of Oct, so you won't get the all year access like PDRA.

One of the last events they hold is an underwater Halloween costume party. As far as the quarries in NC this one ranks at the top and is one of the best places to go test gear and practice skills before making a vacation dive trip.

$20 entry
$7 per air refill (sing) $12 for double
$50 and you can get the full gear setup (wet suit, weights, BC, Regs, Tank)

Bunk house is $25 a night, but I would call ahead (336) 474-0674 to make sure they are open.

Photo's:
Gallery
Video:

Thank you for the review. Im in eastern nc, i have dove mystery and fantasy lake as they are closer to me, but have not been to blue stone. I would like to check it out when it starts getting warmer.

Back
Top Bottom