titanium backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This ^^^ sounds like an interesting idea for a new thread. Could you indulge us? Pictures and a list of components are always a good touch. :)
I've done it with lots of little ti parts I've made for my motorcycles by using a vinegar bath but you can do the same thing by making a steel wool paint brush. Color is determined by the voltage and can be easily achieved by hooking a few 9 volts up in series Anodize Titanium!
2019-04-21_08-45-52.jpg
2019-04-21_08-45-28.jpg

sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know what backplate that is on the far left with the slots on it and the diverite pockets on top?

im looking for a backplate like this with slots on it so i can mount weights to it with velcro, all the hollis backplates i have been able to find do not have these holes.

edit: reread it and realised he put them in himself..lol.

Nothing against helium dive backplates but I just couldn't spend that much for a titanium backplate and to ship it from Russia, so I decided to make my own. Its amazing what one can do with a sheet of titanium, a father in-law with a machine shop company, with a lazar cutting table, hydraulic bender, and about everything else imaginable. Had a successful day finishing my 2 titanium backplates (one standard and one ultra light), and adding weight pocket slots to my hollis backplate. Thoughts? Possible changes if I did it again? View attachment 515684

Definitely nicely done. May I have a few suggestions:
1. The crotch strap slots. I would just have one for 2" width at the same location as the 1" slot now.
2. The top bolt holes. I would say 3 are good, but I will suggest keep the top and bottom one. The 3rd one should be below the current bottom hole at the equal distant between the current top hole and bottom hole. There is no reason to have 3 setting only 0.5" apart. This mean the bottom hole slot will need to be extended longer toward the bottom. This is another reason for #1.
3. Cam slots locations. I think the top and bottom set are good. The middle set should be right below the top set. This let user to mount their tank lower if needed. The lowest tank location is dictated by the top camband location and the crowd of the tank. Having the middle set right below the top let diver setup tank about 2" lower if needed.

As for finishing, I think brushed raw Ti is already very nice. If were to buy one, I will take this over any anodized color. And one more comment, and also personal opinion, don't use Hollis plate as template. It is a lousy designed plate to begin with. Pick a shape like VDH/OMS/Halyon if you want to medium band plate, Diverite/Oxycheq for flat plate.

Definitely nicely done. May I have a few suggestions:
1. The crotch strap slots. I would just have one for 2" width at the same location as the 1" slot now.
2. The top bolt holes. I would say 3 are good, but I will suggest keep the top and bottom one. The 3rd one should be below the current bottom hole at the equal distant between the current top hole and bottom hole. There is no reason to have 3 setting only 0.5" apart. This mean the bottom hole slot will need to be extended longer toward the bottom. This is another reason for #1.
3. Cam slots locations. I think the top and bottom set are good. The middle set should be right below the top set. This let user to mount their tank lower if needed. The lowest tank location is dictated by the top camband location and the crowd of the tank. Having the middle set right below the top let diver setup tank about 2" lower if needed.

As for finishing, I think brushed raw Ti is already very nice. If were to buy one, I will take this over any anodized color. And one more comment, and also personal opinion, don't use Hollis plate as template. It is a lousy designed plate to begin with. Pick a shape like VDH/OMS/Halyon if you want to medium band plate, Diverite/Oxycheq for flat plate.

This winter I'm going to try and make one more like a halcyon and maybe a small halcyon. My kids are getting into diving and would be nice to have a couple small backplates.

Did you ever blowtorch or anodize color it? If so, please post pics!
At a minimum, you should put your name on it...

@Midwesterndvr
do you have a DXF file from your father in law of your backplate designs? My buddy and me like to play a bit and try to make an own design. and yours are looking like a good base.
Regards
ErreichbarKite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom