Destination suggestions for a birthday trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Maldives must be perfect for this purpose, better than Komodo. Komodo is TOUGH. The currents are very, very intimidating. Took me up until this point (100 dives) to feel like I can maybe tackle Komodo soon. The Maldives, on the other hand, is always warm and calm. You can get as luxurious as you want.

I can't compare to Komodo, but on our LOB trip in the Maldives the currents were pretty insane on many dives. Maybe depends on where a given land op dives vs LOB routes, phase of the moon, whatever. Warm and calm (on surface) sure, but very intimidating currents that I don't want to do again at 1000 dives. YMMV.

I can't compare to Komodo, but on our LOB trip in the Maldives the currents were pretty insane on many dives. Maybe depends on where a given land op dives vs LOB routes, phase of the moon, whatever. Warm and calm (on surface) sure, but very intimidating currents that I don't want to do again at 1000 dives. YMMV.

In another case of YMMV, I was at Komodo with 45 dives. There was some strong current, but manageable. We had a very knowledgeable and excellent guide/DM/cruise director and to this date, he is still the top one I've ever had. I'm sure it had something to do with the moon cycle as mentioned, but the fact that we also had a good guide must have also helped. I can't speak about the Maldives, either, unfortunately. I've never been there. The water was like glass up top except at Batu Bolong and Shotgun/Cauldron..You could see the current ripples

Wow then I don't know what's what anymore! The sea was as still as water in a glass when I was there, and flatter than crepes. Temp was toasty - you could easily do hours and hours without a wetsuit. TBH, I really didn't like traveling to and in the Maldives at all, I have no desire to come back to the country. But the diving was indeed extremely pleasant and impressive.

Komodo is the only place I know in Indonesia routinely giving the Nautilus to fun divers. I've never heard of radio devices for scuba until I started researching Komodo. Also one of the few places even in Indonesia requiring reef hooks at certain dive sites. I heard it was because the conditions are too challenging and people might easily be swept out with the currents.

So yes, check the lunar calendar, double check all sorts of weather forecasts. That's probably the deciding factor.
(now I remember, we went to the Maldives over the Lunar New Year holiday, so it was new moon. best time to go if you want to avoid currents)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom