Deepblu Cosmiq+ reputation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe someone indicated that the dive logging was proprietary, and 'in the cloud' - their cloud. If you like the idea of logging your dives via computer, so you get the nice graphs, max. depth and average depth logged automatically, etc...then consider that over the years you may vary in what brand of computer you use.
This is pretty much true with any dive computer on the market.

The reason you can load the data from the computers you have into MacDive is because MacDive wrote code to import the data.

By the way: DeepBlu Cosmiq work-around - MacDive Forums

This is pretty much true with any dive computer on the market.

There was a difference, at least once upon a time...not sure about current status.

Most dive computers uploaded their log to a personal computer, and yes, most offered proprietary software that took that log and made it a working product.

But other software products could be made to import that log and work with it.

The Cosmiq was unique in only uploading its log to DeepBlu's cloud system; there was no file placed on your computer that another program could be used to import. This it was effectively inaccessible to 3rd party dive log software.

In the early days of the Cosmiq I found this off-putting, as did some others. Enough time has gone by to ask whether the situation has changed.

The Cosmiq was unique in only uploading its log to DeepBlu's cloud system; there was no file placed on your computer that another program could be used to import. This it was effectively inaccessible to 3rd party dive log software.
Not true. See above.

Very glad to hear there are now 3rd party options. That removes an early key criticism of the product. For historical reference (i.e.: so people don't think I dreamed it up!), what I was talking about was discussed in the 2017 thread Lost on Planet Deepblu: how to get dive logs from Cosmiq to Mac. Post #2 appeared to be from one of the Deepblu people and stated:

"It sounds to me like you want to export the raw data in some file format like an XML file?

This is not currently possible on Deepblu.

The data must be used to create a dive log either on the app or on the web platform. Your draft logs are accessible through mobile and desktop/laptop devices."

Richard.

I don't really know a whole lot about different computers aside from Oceanic and Atomic (I have a PP3 and a Cobalt 2) but I have a very limited experience with the Cosmiq and for your intended purposes I think it should be fine. The LDS I'm a DM for switched to SDI at the end of the year last year and we now have both Mares Pucks and The Cosmiqs that we use for classes and so far both have held up okay to my knowledge. They're pretty straight forward and not terribly difficult to navigate, which is probably one of the most important things you can hope for in a rental computer, especially when teaching an OW class with computers. I'll actually be in an OW class tomorrow with my son (not as a DM) so I'll have some time to play with one. I can peruse through it and see if there's anything I dislike about it if it helps. I wasn't planning to take my gear and get wet, but I can certainly be persuaded to do so during the lecture part of the class. I have a ffm that's coming back from service that I need to test out anyway so I can throw a Cosmiq on my wrist and play with it in the pool too.

I don't really know a whole lot about different computers aside from Oceanic and Atomic (I have a PP3 and a Cobalt 2) but I have a very limited experience with the Cosmiq and for your intended purposes I think it should be fine. The LDS I'm a DM for switched to SDI at the end of the year last year and we now have both Mares Pucks and The Cosmiqs that we use for classes and so far both have held up okay to my knowledge. They're pretty straight forward and not terribly difficult to navigate, which is probably one of the most important things you can hope for in a rental computer, especially when teaching an OW class with computers. I'll actually be in an OW class tomorrow with my son (not as a DM) so I'll have some time to play with one. I can peruse through it and see if there's anything I dislike about it if it helps. I wasn't planning to take my gear and get wet, but I can certainly be persuaded to do so during the lecture part of the class. I have a ffm that's coming back from service that I need to test out anyway so I can throw a Cosmiq on my wrist and play with it in the pool too.

That would be greatly appreciated I am sure the easy to operate aspect of it is there. Things that I am worry about is that there were some divers in this forum reported about the system crashing upon reaching a certain depth. The report was around mid year this year, but I doubt the issue was resolved because their latest firmware upgrade was in 2018.

That would be greatly appreciated I am sure the easy to operate aspect of it is there. Things that I am worry about is that there were some divers in this forum reported about the system crashing upon reaching a certain depth. The report was around mid year this year, but I doubt the issue was resolved because their latest firmware upgrade was in 2018.
At what depth? Most of our students are only getting to around 35ft in fresh water at best. We typically stay above 25 because that's about where the thermocline is.

I heard of problems with flooding. The following is posted on the Deepblu website:

upload_2019-9-20_10-41-16.png

Back
Top Bottom