Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see the video, so I can't comment on that, however, if a (commercial) video later gets made private, do you still get the ad revenue it generated? How about all the clicks on all of Alec's other videos by people originally drawn to the controversial video?

Alec has seen many long hose setups and used to make jokes about a long hose being wrapped around the neck. In fact, in a GUE seminar held at Alec's shop Scuba 2000 in 2013, the first public invitation read something to the effect of "Why do tech divers wrap their long hose around their neck?" I inquired with him and the person who organized it, who actually wrote the ad, and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. The invitation was later changed to remove any references to the long hose.

When I first contemplated going to a long hose, Alec said that he spent all these decades training people to have the octopus donated to them, and not go for the reg in the mouth, and divers who weren't familiar might have their reg taken/demanded from their mouth. Of course, many of us practice Primary Donate, not Primary Take.
His main concern with donating the primary was that both divers would have their regs out of their mouth at the same time.

Having known Alec for about 19 years and having been embroiled in contentious threads on his long gone The Diving Board forum, he is willing to push the envelope as far as possible to generate interest and publicity. When he gets carried away and pushes it too far, he will make amends.

I copy paste here one of Alec's replies he did 45mins ago concerning the long hose video:

"We will be replacing the "long hose" video without the obvious error about hose placement. I'm sure you realized it was an honest error when I said the donor's primary was on a 7' hose wrapped around his neck. That's too ridiculous to have been a serious statement. The topic was "the Hogarthian setup is not best for recreational diving" and we will stick with that. Fortunately I did state in the beginning that I'm not an expert on modern tec diving. THAT was certainly true! Thanks for your support. Take care. Alec"

It is from the comments section to his newest video about dive computer manuals.

. . .
Having known Alec for about 19 years and having been embroiled in contentious threads on his long gone The Diving Board forum, he is willing to push the envelope as far as possible to generate interest and publicity. When he gets carried away and pushes it too far, he will make amends.

I think his forte is explaining common scuba equipment topics in simple terms. I wish he had taught my regulator service class. He should consider staying away from controversial topics.

I think his forte is explaining common scuba equipment topics in simple terms. I wish he had taught my regulator service class. He should consider staying away from controversial topics.

Or at least make it a conversation involving someone that is knowledgeable about the topic. His backplate video was a little cringey because it was clear he didn't understand it all that well.

I do not think this thread was meant to be a 'Bashing Alec' thread, so please let's not go there. Adding that computer video is digressing IMO.

I'm pleased to see he took down that video. That was a good move that showed he realised he erred.
I hope he posts a replacement video that describes the config accurately, so his viewers will have the correct information.
I don't expect his opinion to change, which is ok. We are all free to choose what is correct for us as long as that choice is coming from a proper understanding of whatever we are choosing.

What I learned from this is to tell anyone I buddy up with how to to get air from me in an emergency (a good idea in any event).

That's something I started doing as well. Showing them has not been an issue and they seem to easily understand. Some have said they've seen it before, but I get the impression this is the 1st it has been explained to them.

buddy breathing
Something I don't miss at all.

Yes Officer, I saw the victim drowning, but I wanted to teach him a lesson.
"Yes, Officer, I saw people having trouble breathing but when the masks dropped down into the cabin I put mine on first per preflight instructions, so I could remain able to function and then to help others."

So what do people do if they jump in the water and the battery is dead?
This is something I'm actually curious about, in terms of what other people would do. 100 foot wreck dive and no computer=stay on the boat. But what about a 30 foot warm water reef dive in calm and clear conditions with a couple of buddies--drop in and approximate dive time using buddy PSI plus an awareness that the surface (or a buddy's octopus) is close?

I noticed from Hammet's video that Patrick didn't have a computer on any of his arms, and Patrick has spent a lot of time underwater.

The video is no longer available so I'm guessing he got enough comments and took it down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom