Urgent.. Liveaboard cancelled — How’s diving in Miami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Liveaboard to the Bahamas — Not exactly cancelled but I’m not going on a 3 days of diving when I booked for 7 days trip.

I’m thinking about either cancelling my flight to Miami or flying there as planned and get some diving done there. Is diving like in California where you have to book through a charter and bring all your gear every day along with a tank? I didn’t enjoy that at all in California and would avoid it if I can.

Any suggestions? Open to any recommendations for shops and what I can do. I have the whole week to dive.

Actually diving is decent a little farther up the cast in Lauderdale to past Jupiter Beach. Quite a few shore dives and probably the best muck dive ib the U.S. at Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm Beach.
Also a lot of quality boat charters.

There's also the Keys. Near Key Largo there;s multiple boat/shop options around MM100.
When SB used to sponsor the Invade the Keys trips they were held there - there's an older Marriott and Holiday Inn and several dive boats are based in the marina fronting them. If you do that, plan to stay in the area, too far to drive from Miami - and traffic is often bad.

There's also the Vandenburg wreck off Key West - it's a huge wreck deliberately dropped some years ago. Deeper though. The logistics of driving to Key West are a lot easier if you overnight there first - it doesn't look far but there's one road and lots of tourists. I don't believe you want to spend the whole week in Key West though.

IDK a lot of them but every dive boat I've seen - tanks are included. A lot of the shops will store your gear also afaik.In some cases, lthe shop and the boats are in the same place, others keep their boats at nearby marinas.

It's not like SoCal where you're bsaically buying a ride. Most shops include a DM in the water per group -

hth, I didn't mention any shops as I'm not current on them. When I was younger we summered in the Keys and south Fl.

I say go to Key Largo. Book a diving package through Rainbow Reef and stay at the Courtyard by Marriott.

You bring your gear, they handle the tanks. Water temp is 84deg right now, so you won't even need a wetsuit!!

I say go to Key Largo. Book a diving package through Rainbow Reef and stay at the Courtyard by Marriott.

You bring your gear, they handle the tanks. Water temp is 84deg right now, so you won't even need a wetsuit!!

Do you know any other places that offer diving packages?
I’m flying in and out of Miami and would love to stay near Miami if possible.

Do you know any other places that offer diving packages?
I’m flying in and out of Miami and would love to stay near Miami if possible.
It's not going to be the best diving. Also there are frequent shuttles from MIA down to the Keys if you don't want to drive.

I agree that South FL (but not Miami) and the Keys are the best FL diving in my experience, but I haven't been there in awhile. But you should also consider that MIA airport is a gateway to many destinations in the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America - so you could easily fly to another dive destination since your plans have changed.

Years ago we had reservations for a Florida dive vacation but the area was hit hard by a hurricane shortly before we were scheduled to travel and there was extensive damage to the region. Our original dive vacation plans were canceled but we were still able to use our already reserved flights to Florida and catch a connecting flight to a Caribbean destination that had not been hit by the storms - and we were glad that we were able to make the change. It costs a little more than we had originally planned, but we had a wonderful vacation and that's the most important thing.

You might enjoy the valet diving provided by some Cayman dive resorts, and you won't have to schlep your gear all week! I know that the Clearly Cayman valet dive resorts are offering some fall specials, see the link below. They are all-inclusive, so it is like a livaboard on land, only more comfortable.

Are you traveling alone? There might be a single supplement fee. You can add-on afternoon dives and/or a drinks package if you wish.

Also take a look at Sunset House on Grand Cayman.

Good luck!

https://www.clearlycayman.com/fall/

Actually diving is decent a little farther up the cast in Lauderdale to past Jupiter Beach. Quite a few shore dives and probably the best muck dive ib the U.S. at Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm Beach.
Also a lot of quality boat charters.

I lived and worked in South Florida for 10 years. The diving from Boynton Beach through Stuart is amazing - some of the best reefs I've ever seen in the eastern hemisphere. My recommendation would be to get a car and try various boat operators in this range. If you like shipwrecks, then you can head down as far as Pompano Beach, but I wouldn't go much further south. The further you get, the worse the reefs are.

2 good shore spots are the Commercial ave pier, and Blue Heron Bridge. Don't waste your time with others.

The Keys are very over-rated IMO.

I would cancel because you aren't going to get offshore in South Florida. The smallest swells in the forecast are at 6 to 8 feet.

National Weather Service

The upper keys are looking similar until Monday or Tuesday, then some advanced boats can go out in 3 to 5.

National Weather Service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom