Urgent.. Liveaboard cancelled — How’s diving in Miami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m thinking about either cancelling my flight to Miami or flying there as planned and get some diving done there. Is diving like in California where you have to book through a charter and bring all your gear every day along with a tank? I didn’t enjoy that at all in California and would avoid it if I can.

Outside of the Keys, pretty much. Though some include the tank with the charter price, but most will supply tanks if you tell them ahead of time.

In the Keys where they have more vacation divers they will store all your gear, and some will even do the full valet experience where they setup and change your gear.

unfortunate, which liveaboard was it? and when you say 'not cancelled' what do you mean?

They changed the 7-days liveaboard to 3 days with no partial refund or full refund. Only credits for future travels. There’s also a possibility of cancellation due to weather so there’s no point of waiting.

They changed the 7-days liveaboard to 3 days with no partial refund or full refund. Only credits for future travels. There’s also a possibility of cancellation due to weather so there’s no point of waiting.

Was the change due to weather? In that case I would look for another destination that has a better upcoming forecast.

Was the change due to weather? In that case I would look for another destination that has a better upcoming forecast.

Yes. Due to weather.

I'm so sorry. If you don't have trip insurance you can contact credit card because sometimes they offer some vacation or purchase insurance.

I suspect I know which charter this is.... its a great operation. I always get DAN trip insurance though.... you never know what can happen, including having a delayed plane flight that might cause you to miss the boat.

Anyway: if I were in your shoes and the forecast for the Keys looked OK, that's where I'd head. Almost all Keys operators will rent you all the gear and tanks but you'll have to pay separately for those. Key Largo is a short drive from MIA as long as you're not in rush hour traffic.

If further up the SE coast has better marine conditions, I'd head there. Note that most of the operators in the Jupiter and WPB can rent everything as well, but not all, so its always good to check ahead of time. As an example, Jupiter Dive Center can rent you anything you need: I've even rented pony bottles from them when I'm traveling back into town.

If the marine forecast is looking bad for the Keys and Jupiter/WPB, I'd fully cancel. About the only place you can dive in SE Florida when the marine conditions kick up is Blue Heron Bridge, which is a great dive, but not one I'd travel across the country to make.

No one is going out until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

very unfortunate, i feel for you.

Which liveaboard was it?

Just an FYI, I have done a few LOBs out of Florida to the Bahamas and the deep water crossing can be very rough. I have bad memories of severe seasickness on some trips. So if the weather is iffy, it is likely that the seas will be rough and the vis will be bad on the reefs - at least that has been my experience. I think you should cancel, take the credit on a future trip, and make alternate plans.

Do you know any other places that offer diving packages?
I’m flying in and out of Miami and would love to stay near Miami if possible.

When I used to dive in the Keys, I would fly in and out of Miami (or Ft. Lauderdale). Rent a car and enjoy the drive, it's a snap. It's not like the headache of driving in Lost Angeles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom