How do I know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRQ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I think I found a deal on a tank, but I’m a bit nervous.... it is a steel Worthington x7 - 100 tank. Looks good, but it ran out of hydro 7 years ago. Tank still has air. Thoughts? What to look for?
Thanks!

Don't even think about it without draining it and looking inside. Or you could commit to buying it as long as it passes hydro and visual. Just add the price of those services to the price of the tank and let the owner take it in to get qualified.

Anything to look for is inside.

Or make a lowball "as is" offer and take your chances

When I buy a used tank I look for flaking rust. Not powdery flash rust but real chips of rust, and pits inside. Never buy one with flaking rust. Also look for dings and gouges on the outside. There is a limit on how deep they can be. I'm sure a tank inspector type will chime in with that info. Remember that a lot can happen between the last hydro/vis inspection. They may have let salt water get in the tank on a dive, filled the tank, and let the tank sit for 8 months...

I've also taken a lot of chances on old 72's and come out good so far. It all depends on how the tank was cared for.
If the deal is good enough, it might be worth the chance without looking inside, but if I have the chance, ALWAYS look inside.

Most important question is what's the price? If it's a decent price I would grab it no questions. Most of them fail hydro because the hydro shop doesn't know how to hydro worthys. If it's $150 or less I'd buy it regardless and not be too worried. Even if it's rusty on the inside, most stuff should tumble off. If there's pitting, it will usually be under rust so you won't see it. And even if it's not under rust, you won't know how significant is until it gets in the hands of a vipper or hydro guy.

Don't even think about it without draining it and looking inside

When I go look at a tank, I bring a tank with air, transfer whip, and a light I can drop into the tank to take a look. When I let the seller know I am going to put air back in the tank when I finish looking, I have not had an issue with them letting me look. And I can count on one hand the tanks that had air and didn't look good, and only a couple that didn't make hydro. Most I turned down were on price, sometimes folks just want a new price on old tanks.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom