Alec Pierce Scuba - Computer Video (split off from controversial thread Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to replace my non-AI Perdix with a Perdix AI (so 2 Perdix AIs). Unless my Shearwater gets crushed by a cinderblock, I don't expect to ever stop diving OC with it. When I go closed circuit, I'll have a Shearwater as well (fortunately they dominate that market, so not an issue)

I might sell one of my Terics if they bring out a Teric 2 with a GPS function (like Ratio or Garmin). But I don't see much diving without Shearwater unless there is a huge change in decompression science.

I don't see much diving without Shearwater unless there is a huge change in decompression science.

Even if a new deco algorithm comes along that drastically outperforms what we have now, that can be implemented with a software patch. You can already pay for VPM on Shearwater computers.

Thank-you for confirming what I thought I saw when diving with my instructor and her master instructor partner. Post dive, their logs were readily available, with the nice graphs I get once I upload.

My buddies GEO is already up for sale and mine will be following shortly. I am debating between the Perdix and Teric at this point and frankly should have done more research before buying.

That is so strange to me. I loved my Geo. Perhaps yours is a newer version.
Yes, the manual was very hard to follow as are the manuals for my Veo 2.0 and Veo 3.0.

Before you guys sell, why not take advantage of the online video class?

I think it is truely quite funny how this thread went from “Can you believe what Alec said in his video!?!?” to “Yeah, I think I should buy a Shearwater.” I couldn’t help but smile as I watched the posts shift. It was actually rather refreshing.

Erik

That is so strange to me. I loved my Geo. Perhaps yours is a newer version.
Yes, the manual was very hard to follow as are the manuals for my Veo 2.0 and Veo 3.0.

Before you guys sell, why not take advantage of the online video class?

Appreciate the recommendation Ms. Chilly.

He did pay for some Video classes and was still struggling when we dove last weekend.

I can use mine just fine after reading the manual. I just have the Shearwater in my head as being so much better.

"When you go to the surface it gives you your SAC rate and tells you if you are going too fast or too slow". Alec, that is the ascent rate. Maybe you should have read the manual!

I agree with most others in this thread that jumping in without understanding the icons your computer can display during a dive is a terrible idea. Now to be clear, as a new diver when I didn't know what I didn't know, I used to watch his videos for buying tips. Then I began to learn here and other places and saw a fin recommendation video that really made me wonder about good ol' Alec. Yes, he knows his service stuff and is chock full of knowledge but I believe he tries to make videos for the sake of making videos and ends up with junk like this.

The most important thing for new rec divers to know is that the best computer you have is the one in your head. Your brain is your true backup computer (maybe your first and the one you bought is your backup). Think about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom