Hello from Arkansas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are determined to learn about self service and trouble shooting, then you really have many options. Hog and Deep6 both have service available through TDI. Poseidon has also allowed "end users" to take the tech class and buy parts.

Scubapro is generally a challenge, but several people really like the vintage Mk10 units and can get parts for them.

Another friend of mine likes vintage Sherwood regs. And was able to learn to self service.

Not super hard if you are mechanically inclined, but it's a big responsibility to take on for something that could get you killed.

Hey there, sorry it took so long to respond on this thread - I made separate ones on the equipment boards once I found those, and I guess I deleted notifications from this one somehow. As far as servicing, I was thinking more like someone mentioned above, just being to fix something that came up (field service, I suppose), not really being solely responsible for the service, and honestly that was more of a side thought anyway.

Anyway, in response to some of the other comments on here. I have checked with my LDS and have been looking at what they can service. We will probably mostly be in warmer waters (at least in the near future, I hope to branch out and experience more), although we do keep seeming to advance our education - tech isn't off the table at some point. Also, budgetwise, I'm willing to spend a decent amount on my first set up. Not like top of the line everything, but gear that will last me a good while. Anyway, here is what I got to so far:

Reg:
Looking at Atomic M1 currently

BCD:
Considering the Zeagle Ranger (Ltd? Does it just have more pockets?), but I've never dove with a back inflate. I'm running by my LDS later to inquire further.

Computer:
Looking for an integrated console computer (AI referes to it being able to calculate dive time remaining, ascent rate, stops, etc, correct? If so, then yes, AI as well). No idea honestly - the owner of my LDS showed me a Sherwood Sage that looks nice, but I can't find much about it online, and it seems like kind of a PITA in that it does not appear the compass screen displays depth or air, so you would have to menu back and forth if trying to navigate. I'm going to play with my store's while I'm there. Oceanic ProPlus line seems pretty nice also...

Wetsuit:
I'm not worrying about this too much. I'll get one in person from the shop, most likely, just to make sure it fits, and they know the temps around here better anyway.

Any opinions on this would be welcomed!
Thanks for the advice and the welcomes, guys!

We have been locally only twice so far, and those for classes/specialties, but my buddy and i have decided we are definitely going to get out more in the surrounding area this summer. Anywhere interesting up in Missouri?

We dive Table Rock lake pretty much every weekend when it warms up, pretty good as far as lake diving is concerned.
It is pretty much like Beaver Lake which is closer to you, can be better or worse then Beaver week to week.
We try to get down to Beaver a couple of times a year also, but we are so much closer to Table Rock & have a boat there that we don't dive many other lakes much.
Let me know if you ever want to dive Table Rock & we could meet up for some diving.

Hi! Thanks. We are getting my little sister certified this summer, so I'll probably be tagging along on her OW dates up to Tenkiller. I need to check out Ouachita this summer. I've heard it's the best around up here. Anywhere nice in Texas to go diving?

For Texas diving, It depends on your disposition. We have some really good places to do training. And as newer divers, even plenty of places for very simple sight seeing. I haven't been bored yet, so I like them all. At least for now. But about the only inland place we have that anyone is going to advertise as impressive might be Spring Lake, but it requires a special certification course. Offshore, the Flower Garden Banks and Texas Clipper are the "biggies." They, generally speaking are for divers with some experience. There are also some offshore drilling rigs that folks dive as well. The videos all look impressive.

Inland -- (not even close to an exhaustive list)
Clear: Balmohea State Park and Spring Lake.
Clear-ish: Athens Scuba Park; Blue Lagoon
Green but clear-ish: Lake Travis. look up Windy Point and Lake Travis Scuba
If you like working on navigation we got your 288 Lake. It is about like watery chocolate milk. :)

We have been locally only twice so far, and those for classes/specialties, but my buddy and i have decided we are definitely going to get out more in the surrounding area this summer. Anywhere interesting up in Missouri?

There are a few pretty good sites up this way. Table Rock Lake is great, but I have only been there in the winter. Stockton Lake is good for low vis training. Beaver Lake in AR is a GREAT place to dive.

Lobo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody! I got my OW in Aug. 2016, now up to Rescue Diver with Nitrox cert. and am up to 29 dives including trips to Cozumel and just recently returned from Belize. Hoping to double that number this year....

Welcome! I am digressing from the discussion about equipment but I wanted to mention that if you want to double the number of dives you have quickly then you should look into a liveaboard dive vacation. You can easily do 4 to 5 good dives a day on a LOB.

Welcome to SB. Lots of good people hang out here where you can learn.
Dive Safe and enjoy yourself. You've received lots of good advice above.

Hi all, I am curious about the best rivers to dive in Northwest Arkansas to find treasures left behind by floaters and kayakers. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Can't help with rivers, but i personally haven't heard of any around that anyone would want to dive besides those that are associated with the authorities and looking for/recovering objects/people...

May try the Oklahoma Aquanauts facebook group and see if anyone knows of anything.

Hi all, I am curious about the best rivers to dive in Northwest Arkansas to find treasures left behind by floaters and kayakers. Any information would be greatly appreciated
The Buffalo is probably your best bet for salvaging. But it gets shallow quick near those rapids where the canoeists spillover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom