And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Conceptions Certificate of Inspection addressed this very issue. "OR PASSENGERS ARE ON BOARD OR HAVE ACCESS TO THE VESSEL FOR LESS THAN 12 HOURS IN ANY 24 HOUR PERIOD, THE CREW MAY BE REDUCED TO 1 MASTER AND 2 DECKHANDS." and of course this part "A MEMBER OF THE VESSEL'S CREW SHALL BE DESIGNATED BY THE MASTER AS A ROVING PATROL AT ALL TIMES, WHETHER OR NOT THE VESSEL IS UNDERWAY, WHEN THE PASSENGER'S BUNKS ARE OCCUPIED."

It's hard to say if other vessels used as dive boats in California have similiar or identical restrictions/requiremenst placed on them.

Easy enough to tell however, the COI should be in a place where all can see it
I seem to recall a crew member was also onboard any boat I spent the night on, even the night before the trip but have no idea how active a watch they stood, is “on board” enough, it is hourly rounds meet the need of “roving” I’m curious the of the “understood” meaning vs “official” meaning and if the differ. Humans are great as a watch but cannot be everywhere at all times but once something is spotted they have reaction as a response to their advantage, unless that reaction is self preservation at all costs, mechanical/electrical sensors/alarms etc. have the advantage of single minded purpose yet may also fail. Overlap and multi level sensors along with alert trained responders are about all we can do but no system is immune to failure.

Are you saying that your PDC needs to be charged every night? I thought dive computers ran off replaceable batteries that only need to be changed out once in a while.
I try to charge my Teric every night on a trip, it doesn’t take long and I can charge it many times from a portable power pack.

Are you saying that your PDC needs to be charged every night? I thought dive computers ran off replaceable batteries that only need to be changed out once in a while.

With more advanced features, comes higher power requirements, which has resulted in computers that use a li-ion battery. Most higher end computers have gone to a rechargerable battery.

I can get 2-3 days out of my Teric battery, but I like to charge it every night. It is better for the battery, and for my piece of mind.

My rechargeable items I would bring on a liveaboard:
Directly Dive Related-
Teric * 2
Primary Dive light
Back up dive lights * 2
Emergency Dive Light - Kept in my pouch just for signalling
GoPro Camera

Not directly dive related
Phone - Used for getting GPS locations of dive sites
Tablet - Entertainment, video editing, and dive logging
Computer - Probably won't pulled out much but I can't go anywhere without a computer due to work.
Smartwatch - I could leave it off, but it can easily charge while I am diving.

That may seem like a lot to some, but liveaboards are a customer service industry, often focusing on the higher end consumer. The operators that figure out a safe way to allow charging 24/7 are the ones that divers are going to prefer.

Looks like I’ll be crashing out in the bed of my truck with my camper shell in the parking lot.
Just like the good old days at Breakwater.
An option but one I’m not likely to use since it’s usually 3 or 4 people on one of these trips.

I seem to recall a crew member was also onboard any boat I spent the night on, even the night before the trip but have no idea how active a watch they stood, is “on board” enough, it is hourly rounds meet the need of “roving” I’m curious the of the “understood” meaning vs “official” meaning and if the differ. Humans are great as a watch but cannot be everywhere at all times but once something is spotted they have reaction as a response to their advantage, unless that reaction is self preservation at all costs, mechanical/electrical sensors/alarms etc. have the advantage of single minded purpose yet may also fail. Overlap and multi level sensors along with alert trained responders are about all we can do but no system is immune to failure.
"Roving patrol at all times" is pretty clear, a crew member is to be constantly in motion checking the vessel for issues. That isn't "once and hour" or "sitting and watching CCTV monitors" or whatever, it is "at all times"

I try to charge my Teric every night on a trip, it doesn’t take long and I can charge it many times from a portable power pack.

Thank you for this! The thought hadn't crossed my mind, and it's an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. Some people afraid they can't charge conveniently onboard up top will start bringing in their luggage high capacity (I'm guessing Li-based?) portable chargers for some of their devices. Which some of them will conceal in bunk rooms/staterooms, I imagine.

A good, solid charging center approach has now moved past good customer service and a good business move to a matter of safety for all aboard, since it reduced the perceived 'need' for this sort of thing.

"Roving patrol at all times" is pretty clear, a crew member is to be constantly in motion checking the vessel for issues. That isn't "once and hour" or "sitting and watching CCTV monitors" or whatever, it is "at all times"

I cannot imagine this happens consistently in real life with fairly small (e.g.: dive boat-sized) vessels sitting in a marina. Be interesting to see if anyone reports 1st hand observation of seeing it, and if so, as common practice, not the exception that proves the rule.

Laws can change. Perhaps this is one where it'd be better to lighten up when the vessel is in port.

That is one definition but when you add the “assigned as” to it I find it becomes less clear, what is the actual “practice” that is common in the industry? I’m taking the roll of the lawyer/devils advocate ( interchangeable term :wink: I’m trying to avoid the emotional hindsight which is the only way a logical solution will be reached that “may” mitigate future disasters like this one. Do we need a watch clock?

I cannot imagine this happens consistently in real life with fairly small (e.g.: dive boat-sized) vessels sitting in a marina. Be interesting to see if anyone reports 1st hand observation of seeing it, and if so, as common practice, not the exception that proves the rule.

Laws can change. Perhaps this is one where it'd be better to lighten up when the vessel is in port.

I will agree that it likely is not happening much in practice sadly.

I would disagree VERY strongly that this is something that needs to be lightened up on in any manner.

I guess my life experiences and your differ, because when it comes to safety on vessels, we are at the opposite end of this debate. My defence is experience on boats/ships/submarines with the stuff that can go wrong.

Your idea of a fully enclosed charging station would seem to solve the problem of fire but would create other problems. One product of charging Lithium Ion batteries is heat. In fact the more depleted the battery is and the higher rate of charging that is used more heat is produced. A bunch of electronics charging in a confined space would rapidly heat that space resulting in 1. potential damage to the electronics (not all batteries are removed from the electronics to charge, i.e. Teric) & 2. increased risk of Li-On fire, 3. Liability for all the electronics damaged if a fire started. Some studies have shown that risk of Li-On runaway is increased in high-temperatures.

For that solution to work it would have to be a specifically engineered enclosure that included ventilation/air conditioning, temperature monitoring, and automatic emergency cutoff monitoring. If a fire did start in a fully enclosed compartment the resulting pressure would make a bomb. I have to imagine something like that is possible but also wonder what it would look like and cost.

As an alternative option might be fire retardant and "explosion proof" soft containers. They are readily available for Li-Po batteries, and are relatively inexpensive. (https://www.amazon.com/Fireproof-Ba...ocphy=9027422&hvtargid=pla-638708303743&psc=1) I have not been able to determine if they would be effective for Li-Ion batteries. Using something like this would be an open charging area with each battery/electronic item placed inside.
All you need as a "specifically engineered enclosure" is a table with a couple of wide aluminum trays or an aluminum-plated table with 1/2" rims. And you need to take measures that no flammable stuff hangs above and around this table.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom