Old Scubapro. Similar to MK V and MK10 but not quite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordi

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate any help to identify the first stage in the middle. The one on the left is an MK V and the one on the right is an MK 10.
The one in the middle has the body of the MK V but the 5th LP port on top of the turret is tipping me off.
Could it be a newer version of the MK V? It was setup for cold water and the body was filled with silicone grease.
Thanks for any suggestions

Jordi Altimiras

Mk V has larger diameter body and piston
Tiny ambient holes designed for cold silicone, I drill them out

I believe it is a tabata

MK5 SPEC with a 5 port turret-not uncommon at all. If you're taking them apart, confirm our guesses by examining the seat, seat retainer and turret bolt. Most clones had different turret retainer bolts, i.e. round with an allen broach (similar to a MK10) rather than an 11/16" hex head.

Now that I can see inn on my PC screen rather than my phone, yeah, MKV

It's a late model MK 5 with the body loosened a few turns. If it's DIN like the one on the left, I'd be interested in the DIN fittings. I'm probably not the only one, as MK5 DIN fittings are not easy to find.

Hi guys and thank you for the varied answers. I guess that the regulator breakdown may allow you to get down to the identification. I must say that this first stage is weird. I have disassembled a few first stages of different brands but many things in this one seem odd:
+ All O-rings are colored and different colors, even the high pressure seat is blue
+ The holes in the seat retainer to unscrew it are smaller than the standard MK V so the Scubapro tool did not work and had to improvise one
+ The retaining ring in the DIN coupling simply broke when I had to remove it without no apparent force (not more than usual anyway), visible in the picture
+ The swivel retainer has a non-standard hex key. The 3/16 that works in the MK V is too big. I tested with metric hex keys and the 4 is too small and the 5 is too big. It could be a metric 4.5 but I do not have that one
+ Paying attention to the DIN main part you can see that the hole through it is not even concentric to the piece (see the detail picture) and the interior is not chromed

All in all, the clone suggestion seems to gain strength, I cannot think that Scubapro or Tusa would produce this low quality piece.
Again, all your thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Best regards

Jordi Altimiras

Looks like a MK 5 with some home made modifications, not sure what you meant about swivel retainer since it’s visible in the picture and it’s a bolt type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom