BP/w Grab Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have those on both my single and double backplate. Mine are sold by ist. It is handy for a number of different things besides lifting up the bp/w. I also use it to secure my waistbelt and crotch strap for transport with a double ender bolt snap. You can also use it to hold accessories you don’t want on the floor when you are not wearing the rig.

For actual transporting the assembly I found a very sturdy handle that attaches to the tank itself. I bought a few in Spain to test. After loving them, and a long on line search I think I ended up with a supplier in Israel.
They are solid, as opposed to some models found in the US that hinge supposedly out of the way made of flimsy thin material.

I know you're asking for backplate handled but I guess for me, the BP assembly is not that difficult to carry when not attached to the tank.
Can these be purchased in the US?

Dude, we use Kevlar now. Asbestos is old school...

And probably illegal in most jurisdictions by now too.

(AMF) Voit
Santa Anna California
One of the major diving companies of the 1950s & 1960s
Handle designed under the direction of Fred Roberts of "Basic SCUBA" fame

1862. ( 2019-1962 === 57 Years ago )

Catalog # 262d
Page 2 Picture "Handy carrying handle"
Page 5 Picture "Back pack with " carrying handle"
Page 6 Picture and description " Back pack with " carrying handle

Page 6
Part # DS225
Carrying handle $3.00

Aqua Craft
San Diego California
The first diving accessary company established by the late Bob Michell
And the first commercially produced "Tank Handle" as a universal handle

Page 5 1963 ( 2019-1963 === 56 Years ago )
Tank Handle catalog # A-58
$1.95
"For caring any tank or tank assembly mounts easily under most pack straps"

~~~ NOTE not mentioned in the catalogs ..They also fold flat ~~~

What is old is now NEW...to the modern diver

So much diving history is lost to the modern diver..
I suppose, i was told, I think , I believe
All devoid of diving history facts

Check diving history

Sam Miller, 111

Totally in the DIY realm (and just throwing out ideas..) but I recently set one of these up with paracord and bolt snaps for my camera housing and it worked far better than I even expected. Comfortable handle to grip and it is slightly negative allowing it to settle nicely while underwater and not get in the way.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07553L96Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a whole bunch of options with different shapes and sizes marketed towards kayaks and canoes.

Can these be purchased in the US?
I haven't found them in the US.
But I stopped looking few years ago when I found a source in Israel, took a bit for shipping but eventually arrived.

The old plastic backpacks had a handle, but they don't get any weight off your belt, and the size doubles that can be used is rather limited.
Bob

I use my old blow-moulded backpack with built in handles with my single hose regs all the time. I even added built in releasable weight pockets that hold up to 13 lb each. Don't even need a separate weight belt. Very comfortable.

iVYQ2O.jpg

5uMpCS.jpg

I heard, I think, I suppose...
People used to fill those blow moulded packs with lead shot.
Don’t know how much weight that added but seems like a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom