And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After these threads, divers will understand that CA LOBs are that in name only. It's all about the diving, not the accommodations. More like a trip up the NorCal coast for diving and camping with likeminded folk, only warmer water.

It will work out, but I hope it includes the continued survival of the SoCal dive fleet and reasonably priced dive trips.

Bob
The Diving and the BBQ

After the fatalities on a grandfathered boat here in Tobermory, the Coasties stopped grandfathering anyone. Period. Like the next day.

There was at least a half dozen boats that never left the docks again with a paying passenger aboard. A few of them are slowly rusting/rotting away in various fields outside of town.
In the US profit often outweighs safety until something horrible happens, like this.

Boats will have to learn to deal with people wanting to charge

People are going to have to adapt to some sensible restrictions

I think. 8pm cessation is too early. 11pm would be better maybe

The only people that really need overnight charging are those with DPV’s and I’m sure they can be accommodated with some sensible planning

The question is are the operators and customers willing to withstand the higher costs that any revised legislation is likely to bring

This does seem to be a knee jerk reaction?

Having recently flown overnight on a large airplane, there where zero restrictions on battery charging (although lots of rules about which bag your spare batteries can go in...). In the near future I will be boarding a small cruise ship. Again no restrictions on battery charging. the hotel I am staying in has no restrictions.

What is so different about a smallish boat that restrictions are considered sane / required?

After the fatalities on a grandfathered boat here in Tobermory, the Coasties stopped grandfathering anyone. Period. Like the next day.

There was at least a half dozen boats that never left the docks again with a paying passenger aboard. A few of them are slowly rusting/rotting away in various fields outside of town.
Shoud the observaton be that they should hve been there to begin with????

In the US profit often outweighs safety until something horrible happens, like this.

As far as profit, dive boats are a step above dive shops as far as making money goes, and to be fair, the boat met USCG regulations. Whether those regulations meets ones standards should be taken up with the USCG.

The question is are the operators and customers willing to withstand the higher costs that any revised legislation is likely to bring

That's the big question, what are the new regulations and how much will it cost to meet them. If too high, the boats may wind up on the used yacht market because the owners can't come up with the cash. And in the longer run, will it run the price up enough that the majority of divers using the boats now won't be able to afford to go, or scale down the trips they do go on.

When I was doing 3 day trips more regularly, three or four of would drive down to the boat from NorCal together I would figure on some change from a grand, more then than now. I think that grand will turn out to be significant.

Bob

Having recently flown overnight on a large airplane, there where zero restrictions on battery charging (although lots of rules about which bag your spare batteries can go in...). In the near future I will be boarding a small cruise ship. Again no restrictions on battery charging. the hotel I am staying in has no restrictions.

What is so different about a smallish boat that restrictions are considered sane / required?

I think that it is like a motel . In a motel what is expected to be carried by the customer . phones and a pad is about it. Now ask the same question for a diving boat's the variety of items and types increase exponentially. If all the stuff taken on a dive boat was taken on a plane or to a motel in the varieties and quantities in % of passengers,,, the motels etc would have more restrictions also. Airlines already deal with most of the main dangers they are aware of. Try taking a hot plate to a motel room.

When I was doing 3 day trips more regularly, three or four of would drive down to the boat from NorCal together I would figure on some change from a grand, more then than now. I think that grand will turn out to be significant.

Good point

In my local, 2 days and 2 nights on a very basic Arabic Dhow, is $400. It’s fantastic off the grid diving, and when the Musandam plays ball it’s truly world class ( I had 30mins with a Whaleshark all to myself last Weekend)

However, scale up to the Oman Agressor which occasionally visits and pay $1000 for the same amount of diving, and it’s not such a great destination (especially as they don’t know the area, nor can go to the better sites because their clients don’t have the experience or capabilities)

It’s always down to bang for buck

Thankfully for us the lack of divers is a good thing, maybe it can be for CA too. People will pay if they feel they’re getting value

As far as profit, dive boats are a step above dive shops as far as making money goes, and to be fair, the boat met USCG regulations. Whether those regulations meets ones standards should be taken up with the USCG.

It was a general statement not dive boat specific.

That's the big question, what are the new regulations and how much will it cost to meet them. If too high, the boats may wind up on the used yacht market because the owners can't come up with the cash. And in the longer run, will it run the price up enough that the majority of divers using the boats now won't be able to afford to go, or scale down the trips they do go on.

Bob
It does matter, if it starts costing much more I probably wouldn’t bother, I can do a week in curaçao for ~ $1300 including airfare, 10 to 12 days in Thailand with 5 day liveaboard airfare and hotels for $2500, it’s already hard to justify $850 for a 3 day trip in cold water, add the cost of a room ashore and fuel to get there, curaçao looks even better and they have the ribs factory!

try to bring a DPV, Canister light and a couple video lights next trip and charge them on the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom