Primary or alternate donate poll

Primary or alternate donate

• Primary

Votes: 216 74.7%
  • Alternate

Votes: 73 25.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Standard rec diving limits only.
source.gif

tenor.gif

If I have a choice, I will donate my alternate because I always dive with a pony bottle.

But I think it's more a question of "which regulator will your buddy grab when he's out of air" ? You should be ready to have your primary yanked out of your mouth at any time.

I was just going to say, there is no option for "the one my buddy grabs." I was taught you keep your alternate in the "triangle" area where a diver is going to look for it. Make sure it is yellow so it stands out. You then hold it out in an orientation that they can just pop it in their mouth (make sure it isn't upside down).

The last time I had an out of air incident (actually not my buddy) they didn't give an out of air signal and they just grabbed the one in my mouth. I just switched to my alternate.

I had to answer for this based on diving my single hose rig (which is less frequent than my DH)....

For my DH, I need to hand off an octo....

This will become a hot thread.

Rec diving with rec divers in rec rig, alternate.
Tech diving with tech divers in tech rig, primary.

When the SHTF, isn't it better to be predicable?

Whoops! Meant to say predictable

Since my diving circle is either tech divers, my family (all diving a recreational long hose), or my one buddy (switched him to long hose), it is always the same if on single hose....

If I have a choice, I will donate my alternate because I always dive with a pony bottle.

But I think it's more a question of "which regulator will your buddy grab when he's out of air" ? You should be ready to have your primary yanked out of your mouth at any time.
I've seen several instructors mention this to OW classes. I just plan to donate the octo because that's how I was taught (unless your LPI and octo are together of course). Haven't had the need to do it in real life and doubtful I will as 98% of my dives are solo. But of course there could be a reason to make use of my own octo for some reason I suppose.

I am surprised at the lopsided results already. I was expecting a fairly even split. I suppose I should have eliminated tec divers from the poll as they probably fall back to the same method when rec diving. I would also venture to guess that far more divers with under 100 dives are more likely to use the alternate hose to donate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom