Diving in the Arctic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apeks had a freezeup issue in a freshwater dive in a very deep military pond, iirc, there was a double fatality.

The current Navy list is https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals...ving/09-03-2019.pdf?ver=2019-09-03-141823-773

INTERSPIRO MK 20 MOD 0 or MK 20 MOD 1

POSEIDON XSTREAM DEEP MK3 Assembly PN: 0100-000 1st Stage PN: 0110-000 2nd Stage PN: 0120-000 Octopus PN: 0100-003 Yoke Adapter PN: 2920

MARES ABYSS 22 NAVY II PN 416171 PN 416546 (Octopus)

ZEAGLE ISOLATOR VALVE PN 330-0233

My understanding is the Navy tests are expensive and time consuming to run and unless the Navy needs a new regulator they don't test regulators.

For issue to the general military population you are correct. In specific populations the best equipment available is selected even if it’s non US made. Weapons are a perfect example. I carried an FN M4. I stuck with an M4 due to commonality of mags, ammo and parts. I could resupply from any US unit or FOB. The FN was absolutely dependable, far superior to Colt. So it’s no surprise NEDU is sourcing the best equipment available anywhere.
Generally trues, but your FN M4 was probably built at their South Carolina plant. The USG really hates buying foreign built weapons. I think it's possible, but it's a lot of extra paperwork and congress tends to be irate if they do it very often.

What regulators do people use for the Arctic? I have Zeagle ZX/DS-V primaries on both of my regulator sets, and a Zeagle F8 octo on one, and an Oceanic Alpha 9 on the other. Im starting to consider trips to the polar regions and wanted to know if anyone has used these regulators in cold water. if you haven't, what regulators have you used/recommended?
And what dive ops would you recommend for the poles?
I have used the Oceanic Alpha 9 with a CDX (I think) first stage down to about 5C in only 8m of water and found they were just thinking of freeflowing. I have an ongoing issue with the purge buttons too and am very likely to scrap 10 club sets in favour of Apeks DS4/ATX40s.

I very often dive in extreme cold water conditions. I did twice the Antarctica (-1,8°C), twice Lake Baikal (2°C, Siberia), Kamchatka (0°C, Siberia), Alaska, Canada, Ushuaia and all the cold lakes in Austria (deep down 4°C). I dive with two Poseidon Xstream regulators. I never had a free flowing Xstream or any other issues. Rock solid cold water performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom