Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Discussion is of course, fair - but sadly so much misinformation takes place when you don't have all the information to begin with - real facts will be forthcoming after the meeting (possibly meetings). Everything right now is assumption and conjecture. I am sure Christi, Dave or another member of ANOAAT will be sharing as soon as possible. I would imagine nothing final will be decided in just a few days. I don't consider it censorship to hold off until the meeting to wait for the facts. Sometimes things change rapidly.

Well it won't be long now and we'll see just what misinformation, if any, this leak contained. I still haven't seen an answer as to what tangible harm has come from early discussion. And some people getting upset because their attempts to pull a fast one got exposed doesn't count.

What this discussion does serve is to give the council some insight into the public perspective, which a responsible agency would have considered before taking any votes or making any decisions. I realize this isn't the US where agencies must post public notice and conduct public hearings prior to make such moves. The collective input from thousands has a way of finding points that a handful of people didn't consider.

And I'm still looking for the baseline study because surely they are going to "study" the effects in a scientific approach, right? Unless, of course, this is all just a cover to reduce the range that park rangers have to patrol.

And I'm still looking for the baseline study because surely they are going to "study" the effects in a scientific approach, right? Unless, of course, this is all just a cover to reduce the range that park rangers have to patrol.

How hard have you looked for it? Here is a pre-print in English. A rapid spread of the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease outbreak in the Mexican Caribbean

There was also this news article related to the study and addresses the recommendation of one of the lead scientists of the study:

Investigadores de la UNAM piden restringir el turismo ‘ecológico’

El investigador de la Unidad Académica de Sistemas Arrecifales de la Universidad Autónoma de México (UNAM), Lorenzo Álvarez Filip, se pronunció a favor de que las autoridades eviten la sobrecarga de turistas en zonas naturales de la isla, pues las condiciones son desfavorables para la recuperación de los arrecifes enfermos del síndrome del Coral Blanco.

Dijo que dicha bacteria se ha desarrollado en un 40 por ciento sobre el arrecife conocido como ‘Paraíso’; que es propiedad del Parque Marino Arrecifes de Cozumel, lo cual es preocupante ya que no hay alternativa para que el coral enfermo se recupere.

Añadió que el mal manejo del turismo ‘ecológico’ ha traído diversas consecuencias para el entorno de la isla, ya que los prestadores de servicios náuticos- turísticos ingresan de una manera descontrolada a las áreas protegidas.

Según los datos proporcionados por trabajadores de la Comisión Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas (Conanp), en Cozumel, el parque marino tiene una capacidad de hasta 1,500 embarcaciones. Esta cifra se llega a duplicar durante la temporada de vacaciones.

Do you really think all this is to "reduce the range that park rangers have to patrol."? Seriously?

All of this and even docking all of the ships does nothing to address the pollution riding the North Atlantic Gyre that brings it from Venezuela, Honduras, etc. to the island. The Cozumel current is part of a huge cycle you know.
000.jpg

They don’t have the boats for it.

Not really accurate.

Some ops (ie: Aldora) have several boats without marine park permits, so this is a smart way to put them to use legally by finding sites outside of the park. But to
Answer @ReefHound if these sites were so desirable, other ops would have also been going there all this time. Aldora’s use of boats that can’t legally go into the MP for this use is a smart marketing plan to offer something others don't and it is a smart way to maximize revenue. I don't blame them for that at all. I would do the same.

I will add that these sites do have some allure simply because everyone doesn't visit them, but due to their location they involve more risk and require advanced divers so not suitable for everyone.

How hard have you looked for it? Here is a pre-print in English. A rapid spread of the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease outbreak in the Mexican Caribbean

There was also this news article related to the study and addresses the recommendation of one of the lead scientists of the study:

Investigadores de la UNAM piden restringir el turismo ‘ecológico’

El investigador de la Unidad Académica de Sistemas Arrecifales de la Universidad Autónoma de México (UNAM), Lorenzo Álvarez Filip, se pronunció a favor de que las autoridades eviten la sobrecarga de turistas en zonas naturales de la isla, pues las condiciones son desfavorables para la recuperación de los arrecifes enfermos del síndrome del Coral Blanco.

Dijo que dicha bacteria se ha desarrollado en un 40 por ciento sobre el arrecife conocido como ‘Paraíso’; que es propiedad del Parque Marino Arrecifes de Cozumel, lo cual es preocupante ya que no hay alternativa para que el coral enfermo se recupere.

Añadió que el mal manejo del turismo ‘ecológico’ ha traído diversas consecuencias para el entorno de la isla, ya que los prestadores de servicios náuticos- turísticos ingresan de una manera descontrolada a las áreas protegidas.

Según los datos proporcionados por trabajadores de la Comisión Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas (Conanp), en Cozumel, el parque marino tiene una capacidad de hasta 1,500 embarcaciones. Esta cifra se llega a duplicar durante la temporada de vacaciones.

Do you really think all this is to "reduce the range that park rangers have to patrol."? Seriously?
Unless you have an additional link, this quote is not saying or showing that it is backed by any real science.

Unless you have an additional link, this quote is not saying or showing that it is backed by any real science.

For the information of all, just like the south, the north has some high current sites (Barracuda) but there are some mild current sites as well that are suitable for the average diver, or novice. Any shop can go there, they just have to take the time to explore. And in worst case I am sure they will.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks a lot! Looking at the data, there are a few sites that stand put far above the others in numbers of dead colonies. What is Fish Market? And Limones? Also noticed high on the list was Paraiso with numbers of 39 and 34. Compared to Punta Sur and Columbia with numbers of 2 and 3. Isn't Paraiso (Paradise) right next to a cruise ship terminal? I'd be looking to close off the sites with the super high numbers not the sites with the low numbers.

Did you look at the attached data documents? Click the download buttons to get Table_S1.docx and Table_S2.docx

Answer @ReefHound if these sites were so desirable, other ops would have also been going there all this time. Aldora’s use of boats that can’t legally go into the MP for this use is a smart marketing plan to offer something others don't and it is a smart way to maximize revenue. I don't blame them for that at all. I would do the same.

It's been stated that illegal ops are a big problem for the industry and the island. Won't moving more of the diving into areas not within the marine park make it even easier for these illegals to operate and compete?

Look, I luv Coz diving...if this is deemed necessary to take pressure off the reef or even to study it properly, I'm all for it. I get this situation may be developing quickly, but it would be nice for those of us who plan our travel that it not be announced one day and shut down the best sites less than a month later. I would think a bit more planning would be possible. But hey, again, if necessary, I'm o.k. with eating the cost/hassle of airfare changes, deposits, vacation time changes (all very 1st world problems, I know :)) as long as it's not over some shady, backroom, tit for tat nonsense (BTW, @El Graduado , you floated some of the conspiracy stuff. Don't go all "local" on us now :)). In the end, I'm up for what's best for the long haul, but if this is some kind of BS between feds & locals et al, they've come up with a good way to piss off even the most conscientious dive travelers. I hope it all gets worked out with input from all involved. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom