What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It happens. It is sad to see anything or anyone beloved, getting old and feeble. I have seen my mother deteriorate from where she regularly walked to Altrincham shops through the back lanes for the exercise, to being able only to reach Mrs.Jones across the road, to being housebound, to being bedridden in a nursing home, to the end which comes to all people.

it always is ......sad but true

Sadly, I think the Calypso's condition mirrors that of The Cousteau Society itself. What have they done over the past few years? I'm not aware of much but will be happy to be enlightened.

As abnfrog said, mostly bicker. Control of the Society passed to JYC's wife Francine after his death and since then my impression is it's a hollow shell. That state of affairs does not bode well for Calypso.

As abnfrog said, mostly bicker. Control of the Society passed to JYC's wife Francine after his death and since then my impression is it's a hollow shell. That state of affairs does not bode well for Calypso.
Remember that Francine is the mistress whom Jacques married after the death of Simone. Francine is younger than Jean-Michel. Is an acrimonious split surprising to anyone?

The main reason Calypso won’t sail again is most likely the lack of funds. I don’t think she’ll ever be finished.

its sad to say but I think your right

If it ever IS finished, what proportion of it will be original rather than replacement, likely?

Probably just the name. An Oregon pine boat made in 1942 for wartime use with lots of ocean trips and 20+ years of dockyard neglect by a semi competent owner without money is really hard on a boat.
I'll give you $50 if it ever travels 500 miles under it's own power.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom