And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll just get a campsite 20 mins north in Gaviota the night before. Barbecue and hang out around a fire then crash out in the bed of my truck.
I have a friend who almost died in the back of his truck. He was doing the post divorce/mid life crisis/live out of a truck phase. Nice truck, nice camper on the back. Some sort of gas leak and he almost didn't wake up. The story is a bit fuzzy but he did make it out with his dog. The dog was passed out but recovered.

I have a friend who almost died in the back of his truck. He was doing the post divorce/mid life crisis/live out of a truck phase. Nice truck, nice camper on the back. Some sort of gas leak and he almost didn't wake up. The story is a bit fuzzy but he did make it out with his dog. The dog was passed out but recovered.
Oh god, please don’t start a thread about how unsafe it is to sleep in the back of my pickup, and how I need to install sprinklers and alternate exits, maybe a chainsaw?

Lol! Thanks for the chuckle.

For the past few years, there were only two dive "resorts" left in Browning Passage, British Columbia. God's Pocket, with cabins and a dive boat big enough for a dozen divers (and an elevator!) and Browning Hideway, a bunch of small rooms nailed together on floating barrels. The rooms shared a bathroom. It looked like Sanford & Son of the north. Both resorts were always filled to capacity. There were just as many divers willing to pay more for some comfort as there were those who would sacrifice to save a few bucks. There is, and will always be a market for lower-cost dive operations.

Should have hired a fire watch

Conceptions COI allowed them reduced crew by 1 alongside when berthing is occupied. In other words they needed 3 crew with one of them awake and roving per their COI.

That would mean a Master or Mate would have to be aboard, since the crew of four would also include two deckhands.

no matter what it becomes an issue of bottom line $.

Yes, it would take a lot of money to hire a extra Master, or mate, just so they could babysit folks overnight at the dock. Less for the deck hands.

Perhaps the similar boats need to replace the big bunk room with 10 twin cabins made to resist fire plus with proper monitoring and sprinklers, then charge double and move upmarket.

Maybe it could be fitted with 4 - 6 small cabins depending on the hall and exits to the next deck space requirements, but there is no room for ten. It is a small bunk room, as I remember 3 bunks long, 3 bunks high, 4 rows, add some room for narrow passageways between bunk rows and the stairs to the next deck, say 23'X30' approximately.

And you assume there is an up market, that wouldn't fly to a warm water destination for the same price. As it is, they rarely have limited load trips where they don't fully book the boat.

One of the articles I read a former USCG inspector said that the Conception was "a compliant death trap.

Out for his ten minutes of fame, and possible expert witness gig. Anything is a compliant death trap if you don't make it out in time, car, house, hotel... He was an industry professional that certified this type of boat compliant and did nothing to change the regulations.

As I wrote, there were crew members present when we boarded and we were given a basic safety briefing (although I went on these boats often enough to know what to do)

Was this the morning of the trip when they do the roll call before leaving, or the night before you sleep over?

Applying the same rule to the LOBs, Conception clearly posed a safety risk. So, instead of rushing some questional changes of the "zero tolerance to lithium" kind, why not start with safety basics?

A safety basic is removing a possible fire risk, it can be done quickly. Re-engineering a boat to provide more exits takes more time, as a marine architect needs to insure the structural integrity of the vessel. The USCG needs to give direction on what will be required, so far it is to insure a watch, and don't trust lithium batteries. I'm sure the emergency exits will be addressed later.

Bob

Best graphic that I have seen so far. The time is wrong, should be at least half an hour later.
SJM-L-DIVEBOAT-0907-90-01.jpg

For the past few years, there were only two dive "resorts" left in Browning Passage, British Columbia. God's Pocket, with cabins and a dive boat big enough for a dozen divers (and an elevator!) and Browning Hideway, a bunch of small rooms nailed together on floating barrels. The rooms shared a bathroom. It looked like Sanford & Son of the north. Both resorts were aiclways filled to capacity. There were just as many divers willing to pay more for some comfort as there were those who would sacrifice to save a few bucks. There is, and will always be a market for lower-cost dive operations.

That's still the case... I'm heading to the Hideaway at the end of the week. It's not quite like you describe it (private baths and on rafts, which are on massive old logs and floats) but your point is well taken... To call the Hideaway "rustic" is kind. God's Pocket has the benefit of being on dry land so is somewhat fancier.

However, neither one could be called "lower priced". A week at the Hideaway is $2500 with tax. GP is closer to $3K. And both are expensive to get to. In our case, going as a group, we have a $800 flight to Vancouver Island, then share a shuttle up at $150 each. Add in nitrox, booze and tips and you're looking at the better part of $4000 to $4500 a week. I can go to Belize for way less. Admittedly those are Canadian dollars, but I'm Canadian eh.

My point is the opposite of yours... divers will pay premium price for superb diving. I have never been to SoCal to dive so I can't compare it to Browning Pass, but for someone not adverse to cold water (48° - 50°) i think it's the best diving in the world. I've taken probably 18 trips out there over the years, and I think the diving is getting better, and there aren't many places can boast of that.

(PS I have one space left if you want to come! ;-) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom