Underwater Mapping using Sonar - Looking for some knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Good evening SB,

---
The Short - Looking for knowledgeable people to help me learn/set up a sonar system to create 3d bathymetric maps.

The Long -

One of my pet projects for years has been mapping dive sites wherever i work, just very general lap and long and potions etc.

Now i am in a position where i have access to vessels, the knowledge of NMEA systems and lots of space to explore for diving...

A lot of modern depth sounders and chartplotter produce amazing picture clarity, im looking for a way to either save the side scan tracks from a charplotter so i can stitch together, or more ideally, save the depth, position co-ordinates from a depth sounder and import into a program to create a bathymetric map (i used Surfer back in Uni). I know some garmins and humingbirds have an option to create your own maps. Is this just a outline or using the side scan sonar images i cant seem to find out.

In a perfect world i would love a small towed array that can save the data for processing later on a land based machine. Tritech offered a good system at one point for about $4000 USD but that was a few years ago and tech has moved on so quick that an off the shelf garmin chartplotter with CHIRP transducer seems just as good resolution! Otherwise i can T hardware into the NMEA backbone if a vessel already has the right transducer.

Ive seen what seem to be some great programs like ReefMaster, if anyone has any experience?

Pretty much all of the work i would do would be less than 100 foot and a majority at less than 60.

There seems to be so much out there to use im getting my self confused, if some one can straighten me out a bit it would be greatly appreciated!

Both Garmin and Lowrance have "mapping" feature which allow you to stitch their data together into a bathymetric map. They aren't technically sidescan and sidescan isn't what you need anyway. Bathymetric maps use down looking signals. Garmin and Lowrance are both using transducers with a center signal plus two side lobes.

Yeah so looks like mutlibeam is better for the 3d mapping but Sidescan stich is a lot simpler since you basically join photos together.

Looking at the program i linked too i may be able ot test the free trail of that when we cross next as our nav computer already draws 0183 feed in from the depth sounder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom