Regulator Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaosparadigm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a scubapro mK25 620S; I just got its' first annual service maintenance done. I was told on the phone it would cost $25 unless something needed to be done then when I showed up to turn it in I was told it would cost $30 unless something needed to be done. Then I came to pick it up, and they wanted to charge me $116. When I asked why? What had be done? They couldn't explain.

What would actually be involved in Regulator Maintenance that they wouldn't be able to explain?

Are there online shops for future Scubapro regulator annual services? This shop is the only shop since I'm in the Midwest with no diving obviously... and they're pure crap so I would like not to go back there in the future.

If they could not explain what was done and they did not contact you to authorized the service as well as you did not sign anything to authorize the service I would tell them to return your regulator as it was when you brought it.

FWIW typically a service kit for the first stage is around $25 plus labor, the same for the second stage, around $25 plus labor. As such, it sounds as though they did a complete overhaul. Whether it was warranted is the real question.

@chaosparadigm sounds like you got ripped off.... Airtech scuba in Raleigh NC is a huge Scubapro repair center and is a company that only does scuba gear repair *as in a staff of full time, with benefits/vacation etc. repair technicians, not a random dude in the back who repairs gear once in a blue moon*. Scubatoys also does Scubapro I believe.

It does sound like they did a full overhaul, and are just trying to get money out of you unless you abused your equipment in the salty stuff. If freshwater only, there's no reason it shoudl need one after a year

They should tell you what they did. But to play devils advocate the 25 or 30 was probably labor per stage, which they should have told you so 25 per stage with 2 seconds and one first would be 75 if its 30 that would be 90, plus parts so 116 is not unreasonable if they replaced parts.

They should have told you this from the start on that alone I wouldn't go back there.

I have a scubapro mK25 620S; I just got its' first annual service maintenance done. I was told on the phone it would cost $25 unless something needed to be done then when I showed up to turn it in I was told it would cost $30 unless something needed to be done. Then I came to pick it up, and they wanted to charge me $116. When I asked why? What had be done? They couldn't explain.

What would actually be involved in Regulator Maintenance that they wouldn't be able to explain?

Are there online shops for future Scubapro regulator annual services? This shop is the only shop since I'm in the Midwest with no diving obviously... and they're pure crap so I would like not to go back there in the future.

You’re in the Chicago area. There is likely more than one shop in the area that sells ScubaPro. Which shop? I get fills at Got Air Scuba in Elk Grove, and they’re a SP dealer. All I know is that it wasn’t Dive Right in Scuba since they’re not a SP dealer.

First, it is clearly unacceptable that you don’t know what you paid for. No itemized invoice? Maybe you just need to work your way up the food chain at the shop, in case you just got a less experienced and knowledgeable employee.

Now, there is lots of opportunity for miscommunication on pricing, especially over the phone when a shop hasn’t seen the item in question. Labor for a 3 stage set? Or labor quoted as “per stage” but misunderstood to mean the whole set? An off-year inspection price, or a full overhaul price? You say this was your first annual service... Scubapro current overhaul is at 24 months or 100 dives, not 12 months. Misunderstanding on what was requested to be done? Once the charge is explained, you may feel better about it.

Now, if you are still looking for another Scubapro dealer option and you are near the north suburbs, I will point you to Myron at Elmer’s Watersports in Evanston. And if you are closer to me in Highland Park then bring it by, Elmer’s is where my Scubapro work gets done. (and I do a few brands for him...)

Back
Top Bottom