And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what you dont believe me? you live here. the deals are out there. I stayed at the place on highway its off the beach right before going into monterey. im not lying. I dont lie. look for deals you find them easy. ill google it up later
I’m not saying you’re a liar, calm down bro.
I just want to know so when I go down there next I know where to go, that’s all.

And what happens if he denies them their certificate? They go to court saying "We meet the code," and probably win with costs awarded, and maybe even a monetary award for loss of use during the court fight. After the fact he probably gets reassigned, to somewhere cold and boring until the USCG can force him out.

If he approves it, he is protected by sovereign immunity as he was just doing his job as it was defined by the USCG. The USCG is the one sticking their butt out.

He is the one calling them compliant death traps, implying he knew this would happen. My conscience has made me quit jobs for lesser moral dilemmas than this example. I like to think he was clueless until the cameras were on him, then he played hero expert, after the fact.

Bob

And what happens if he denies them their certificate? They go to court saying "We meet the code," and probably win with costs awarded, and maybe even a monetary award for loss of use during the court fight. After the fact he probably gets reassigned, to somewhere cold and boring until the USCG can force him out.

If he approves it, he is protected by sovereign immunity as he was just doing his job as it was defined by the USCG. The USCG is the one sticking their butt out.
You making up storylines doesn’t make it true.

He is the one calling them compliant death traps, implying he knew this would happen. My conscience has made me quit jobs for lesser moral dilemmas than this example. I like to think he was clueless until the cameras were on him, then he played hero expert, after the fact.

Bob
The last page or two of posts are a great example of how misinformation takes on a life of its own once just one person gets it wrong. The “compliant fire trap” quote did NOT come from a Coast Guard inspector.

John McDevitt, a former assistant fire chief from Pennsylvania who is an accredited marine surveyor and the chairman of a National Fire Protection Assn. committee on commercial and pleasure boat fire protection, called the Conception “a compliant fire trap.”
Boat where 34 died was a 'fire trap' despite passing inspections, experts say. It's far from alone

"John McDevitt, a former assistant fire chief from Pennsylvania who is an accredited marine surveyor and the chairman of a National Fire Protection Assn. committee on commercial and pleasure boat fire protection...."

Anybody know if this is the guy? http://www.bluewateryachtsales.com/team/john-mcdevitt/

I was under the impression that marine surveyors were like home inspectors. Is that accurate @Wookie or @nolatom ? That may be a biased opinion from a shady Arizona boat owner, I never expected to question his estimation of the job title. Anyway, if that's the case, could the same opinions that apply to home inspectors also apply to marine surveyors?

It also sounds like he isn't a USCG inspector, does that have positive or negative connotations regrading his opinion?

A safety basic is removing a possible fire risk, it can be done quickly. Re-engineering a boat to provide more exits takes more time, as a marine architect needs to insure the structural integrity of the vessel. The USCG needs to give direction on what will be required, so far it is to insure a watch, and don't trust lithium batteries. I'm sure the emergency exits will be addressed later.
This is cherry picking, not safety basics. Just passing the inconveniences down to the customers.

It does not matter really, what started the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. One theory, popularized in the movie, was that the fire started when a cow kicked a lantern in a barn; another stated that a meteorite hit the city and set it on fire. The cause of the fire remains unknown. It could be a lantern, or a candle, or someone falling asleep while smoking et etc but this hardly matters since that old wooden city of Chicago was designed and built to burn down eventually and kill 300 people in the process. And in the aftermath, they did not ban the lanterns or the cows or meteorites; they rebuilt the city from bricks and stones. Which was the right thing to do.

"John McDevitt, a former assistant fire chief from Pennsylvania who is an accredited marine surveyor and the chairman of a National Fire Protection Assn. committee on commercial and pleasure boat fire protection...."

Anybody know if this is the guy? John McDevitt | Bluewater Yacht Sales

I was under the impression that marine surveyors were like home inspectors. Is that accurate @Wookie or @nolatom ? That may be a biased opinion from a shady Arizona boat owner, I never expected to question his estimation of the job title. Anyway, if that's the case, could the same opinions that apply to home inspectors also apply to marine surveyors?

It also sounds like he isn't a USCG inspector, does that have positive or negative connotations regrading his opinion?
I have very little use for marine surveyors except in salvage situations. I can inspect my own home. They are more along the line of appraiser. You must have one if you want insurance, and the insurance company will hound you relentlessly until their punch list is complete.

what you dont believe me? you live here. the deals are out there. I stayed at the place on highway its off the beach right before going into monterey. im not lying. I dont lie. look for deals you find them easy. ill google it up later
On the hill between hwy 1 and the ocean, in seaside I assume, they can have good prices if nothing else is going on it town, I’ve stayed in places in Monterey for less than $40 but they are the kind of place where you wear shoes to the bathroom :p

Anybody know if this is the guy? John McDevitt | Bluewater Yacht Sales

Coast Guard inspectors go to a school in the Norfolk area, and are professionals. They learn wood boats, or aluminum boats, or steel boats, and may specialize in a certain type of boat. My last inspector was certified on wood and aluminum, but as she was the only inspector in all of the keys, she would inspect steel hills as well, but she wasn’t certified. I wonder if whomever signed off Conception was trained in wood boat inspection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom