Beuchat Aquabionic tearing issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alfred Stoppels

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have bought myself a pair of Beuchat Aquabionic fins and I loved them a lot.
Then after 24 dives I noticed reduced power and checked the fins ... oops.
I noticed that there was a lot of wear visible and they even started to rip already.

The rips are on the point where the blade is attached to the shoe, there is a softer flexible part that is ripping, on both fins equally. Fins are used in salt water and always washed with clear water after diving, never dry in the sun.

On the photo it can be seen how bad it is. They are unusable at this point, only after 24 dives.
Dropbox - Fins002.jpg

My dealer just says, never heard this, I have to talk to the factory but is not coming back on this issue.
Beuchat is not responding to the mails I have send sofar.

Anyone else that has experienced this issue?
What can I do?

Thank you and regards,
Alfred

#Beuchat #Aquabionic

I noticed that there was a lot of wear visible and they even started to rip already.

The rips are on the point where the blade is attached to the shoe, there is a softer flexible part that is ripping, on both fins equally. Fins are used in salt water and always washed with clear water after diving, never dry in the sun.

On the photo it can be seen how bad it is. They are unusable at this point, only after 24 dives.
Dropbox - Fins002.jpg

My dealer just says, never heard this, I have to talk to the factory but is not coming back on this issue.

What can I do?

Thank you and regards,
Alfred

#Beuchat #Aquabionic
To me it looks like a out of ratio mixture. We have to watch our production due to having some times the same problem with our Manufactors. When Beuchat makes so many fins, you cannot count on 100% perfect. Hope this helps.

To me it looks like a out of ratio mixture. We have to watch our production due to having some times the same problem with our Manufactors. When Beuchat makes so many fins, you cannot count on 100% perfect. Hope this helps.

This information might help ... if only Beuchat would reply to me. Thank you.

I would call their main office. Beuchat is a great company with a long history with #GREAT fins..Like the Jet Fin, which I used for 20 plus years.. I recommend the Jet Fin, since it is so good for a Frog Kick, and Spring straps. Can Not go wrong with this fin for Cave diving.

The problem with new next to no reinforcing rib fins is they have hinge points where the blade bending is mostly concentrated. I have swum with lots of fins and the ones that perform best send more water rearwards on each blade stroke, unfortunately getting more blade surface generating rearward thrust in a short blade means that it has to bend more near the foot pocket so that more surface area points rearward, or a component thereof. Until urethane fins and other polymers appeared these radical shapes would have fallen in two if they were manufactured in rubber or polypropylene as was used in the Technisub Caravelle blade of which I have a pair purchased when new. The manufacturer does all the testing, so send them back for another pair, plus they should be interested in forensically examining the mode of failure. Basically failure is due to material fatigue or a bonding failure where components are fused together in the blade to foot pocket connection. I once had a pair of spring heeled Oceanic vented fins fall apart as the soft blue foot pocket peeled off the white translucent blade at the toes, after which they went in the rubbish bin.

Just had my Aquabionic 1's fail in exactly this way after almost exactly 1 year of ownership.

Was pretty disappointed as I really love these fins, so sent an email to Beuchat. Their reply (wasn't actually expecting one):

Hello,

Yes, we are on this problem, for your fins contact your local dealer for change it.

Thank you to your understanding

BEUCHAT Team

Unfortunately there's no BEUCHAT dealer in Japan, so let's see whether my online retailer is willing to help.. but it sounds like BEUCHAT have a manufacturer's replacement deal for these.

Dropbox - Fins002.jpg

What can I do?

Thank you and regards,
Alfred

#Beuchat #Aquabionic
Well, Early Januari I finaly got a new pair thru my Dutch dealer.
36 dives later they are now tearing again! The issue is not fixed.

Problem now is: The dealer I purchaced them and replaced them is closed!. There is no way to have a new pair now.
My solution: I threw them away and bought myself a pair of Scubapro Seawings.
There is no way Beuchat will replace them now my dealer is gone and I dont trust these Aquabionics any longer.

Too much flexing and stress over a small cross-section is asking too much of the material and that is why the fins are failing. Fins initially developed with big tapered side ribs to overcome fatigue problems, but in recent years manufacturers have become emboldened with new construction materials in the hope of leaving them off completely and thereby create a hinge point rather than a progressive curve over the face of the blades. The Mares Volo fins are a hinge point fin, but still have side ribs and needed some subsequent changes to increase their durability. Another fin that provides the benefit of a hinge in letting more of the blade deflect is the split fin, but they hinge off their big fat cylindrical side ribs that also have a progressive curve as they bend, the effectively triangular blade segments either side deflecting even further. Short of metal springs connecting the blades (which has been tried and discarded) these more radical "bio" fins are not going to last.

Too much flexing and stress over a small cross-section is asking too much of the material and that is why the fins are failing. Fins initially developed with big tapered side ribs to overcome fatigue problems, but in recent years manufacturers have become emboldened with new construction materials in the hope of leaving them off completely and thereby create a hinge point rather than a progressive curve over the face of the blades. The Mares Volo fins are a hinge point fin, but still have side ribs and needed some subsequent changes to increase their durability. Another fin that provides the benefit of a hinge in letting more of the blade deflect is the split fin, but they hinge off their big fat cylindrical side ribs that also have a progressive curve as they bend, the effectively triangular blade segments either side deflecting even further. Short of metal springs connecting the blades (which has been tried and discarded) these more radical "bio" fins are not going to last.
It al makes sence what you say. Just too bad #Beuchat is not responding.
I believe, dispite you explenation, just around 30/40 of normal dives is just not enough for a pair of fins. They should be taken off the market tbh, just a fail product with an even more fail service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom