Dual-bladder or single-bladder? The whys and wherefores...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In tec diving, you have redundancy for everything, including buoyancy, if you don’t have a dry suit you need a duel bladder BC. Period.
With reels, lights, stage bottles, doubles, tools, there is no way you are swimming your gear to the surface if your BC fails.
I dive in N.C. with steel 133 doubles, or AL80 doubles, and not having redundant buoyancy is not an option in the ocean. A wetsuit just does not offset the weight. My tec instructor would not let me in the water without redundant buoyancy.

In tec diving, you have redundancy for everything, including buoyancy, if you don’t have a dry suit you need a duel bladder BC. Period.
With reels, lights, stage bottles, doubles, tools, there is no way you are swimming your gear to the surface if your BC fails.
I dive in N.C. with steel 133 doubles, or AL80 doubles, and not having redundant buoyancy is not an option in the ocean. A wetsuit just does not offset the weight. My tec instructor would not let me in the water without redundant buoyancy.
Are you diving steel 133s with a wetsuit?

When diving in cold water one uses a drysuite for redundant boyancy ...

Everyone thinks their drysuit will supply adequate redundant buoyancy. I tested this recently. The air burped out of the neck seal before reaching neutral buoyancy with a completely empty wing. I was using a shell suit with thin underwear and full tech gear. Furthermore the inflation of the suit made movement difficult.

I suggest everyone test this assumption to see if it is true in their case. I'd expect that a crushed neoprene suit would get better results than a shell suit..

Are you diving steel 133s with a wetsuit?

Yes, when it’s 100 plus degrees, and humid getting into my dry suit, and sitting on a boat waiting to splash is hardly appealing. I’m neutrally buoyant with my BC, and wetsuit, so I call it a day.

The water is also in the mid 80s, I don’t care what my base layer is, in a dry suit I sweat like hell.

Back
Top Bottom