And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But let's also be clear, especially should this go to trial, they both (Navy sailors vs civilian boat crew) operate under wholly different rules/circumstances. I was involved in a case some years back where the basic thrust of the plaintiff was that dive boats should operate under military type rules (and don't even get me started about "the captain is legally responsible for EVERYTHING that happens on a ship") and that's simply not the case.
this isn't about navy rules, it's the regulations that apply to civilian vessels, and those duties are as well established as the navies.

But let's also be clear, especially should this go to trial, they both (Navy sailors vs civilian boat crew) operate under wholly different rules/circumstances. I was involved in a case some years back where the basic thrust of the plaintiff was that dive boats should operate under military type rules (and don't even get me started about "the captain is legally responsible for EVERYTHING that happens on a ship") and that's simply not the case.

I dont think anyone is saying that the two should be the same. What i am reading is that sailors have a more serious view of their duties than civilians. and rightfully so because of the associated differences in the platforms and equipment and weapons contained on the platform. For the most part military has a consequence where civilians do not.for even minor infractions. The captain is still responsible for all because the buck stops there. Sorry if the boat sinks at the pier its the captains fault. TO BE A QUALIFIED CAPTAIN YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR SHIP. You cant say you did not know something could happen, with in reason,. In other words you just can not say that you met the minimum requirements while knowing conditions exist that may excede the ability of those minimum requirements to be effective even if met. The fact that, if true as posted, captains are making new rules concerning batteries etc on board is proof of this. This thread in it self it forcing the issue by saying that X Y Z are possible causes for the resultant deaths of a onboard fire. Any captain that does not review their policies in regards to those issues as they apply to their platform would be in my book be negligent if a fire happened on their boats. Even a temp set of proceedures or policies should be placed into effect at least until the final determination of the USCG , NSTB and others is formally released. I found int he COI that there is a max capacity of 103? that seems like a lot to me but that may be the max volumnmetric capacity it can handle. Im sure that is not the what any captain would take to sea on a multi day outing. where do you safely sleep 103 people over night?

this isn't about navy rules, it's the regulations that apply to civilian vessels, and those duties are as well established as the navies.
You mention the duties aspect.... I wonder if there is a captains set of standing orders or record of the specific duties of each crew member for this vessel. It would then describe the exact duties of the roving watch. such as physical roving each hour to all spaces,,, actions to be taken etc.

I dont think anyone is saying that the two should be the same. What i am reading is that sailors have a more serious view of their duties than civilians. and rightfully so because of the associated differences in the platforms and equipment and weapons contained on the platform. For the most part military has a consequence where civilians do not.for even minor infractions. The captain is still responsible for all because the buck stops there. Sorry if the boat sinks at the pier its the captains fault. TO BE A QUALIFIED CAPTAIN YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR SHIP. You cant say you did not know something could happen, with in reason,. In other words you just can not say that you met the minimum requirements while knowing conditions exist that may excede the ability of those minimum requirements to be effective even if met. The fact that, if true as posted, captains are making new rules concerning batteries etc on board is proof of this. This thread in it self it forcing the issue by saying that X Y Z are possible causes for the resultant deaths of a onboard fire. Any captain that does not review their policies in regards to those issues as they apply to their platform would be in my book be negligent if a fire happened on their boats. Even a temp set of proceedures or policies should be placed into effect at least until the final determination of the USCG , NSTB and others is formally released. I found int he COI that there is a max capacity of 103? that seems like a lot to me but that may be the max volumnmetric capacity it can handle. Im sure that is not the what any captain would take to sea on a multi day outing. where do you safely sleep 103 people over night?
Probably for things like this, With 101 Freeway Closed to Mudslides, Hundreds — Including Evacuees — Travel by Boat Between Ventura and Santa Barbara

exactly! I currently work on an offshore tugboat which is pretty much as far away from the navy as you can get. The thing that I stress in all of our drills is to first sound the alarm. We don’t have roving watchstanders but when I worked on non military vessels that did have them, it was the same thing there as well.

Having been a night watchman on occasion you don't orbit the boat continually on a vessel that size, you do your rounds, fill in the time to do something that keeps you awake, and then do another tour at set intervals. Same applies for large industrial complexes, I had to do checks that nightwatchmen were on duty and tour the plants at two locations, took me hours and talked with all the nightwatchmen to pick up any intelligence that may have been missed. There was always something to report as fresh eyes saw what others had become somewhat blasé about.

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Fire...CVBN7RKQ28J&psc=1&refRID=ZST3RTMXWCVBN7RKQ28J
example.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom