Lets discuss these choices -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at the Mermaid Fleet for a potential Bali - Komodo trip.
For the sake of argument:
The Mermaid I is 10 days (28 dives) 3,600 euros
The Mermaid II is 8 days (20 dives) 2,500 euros.

So my dilemma is - should I do Mermaid I or should I do Mermaid II and use the balance of the funds for several days of shore diving in either Tulamben and/or a second locale such as Padang Bai.

It would be my first trip to Bali and Komodo.
I am open to any and all recommendations.

DD

If you have never been to this part of the world before, for sure do the second option...do more than see Indonesia via Flores and an awesome liveaboard. Maybe Tulamben first, blow your mind in Komodo, then decompress your everything in Ubud? Just an idea.

I can agree with Matt other than the Ubud part, I would avoid that traffic ridden cesspit. :) Go further north and do some waterfall walks in Munduk or similar. Or if you want to keep diving and if you enjoy critter diving then a few days in Amed/Tulamben are well worth it

Go to Komodo, the diving is unbelievable. I just went on my first liveaboard there the end of August and will post video here soon. Check out Blue Manta, much nicer and larger boat. Rooms are huge and only 10% single supplement. You have to fly from Bali to Komodo (LBJ) but it’s a short flight. Ubud is super built up and touristy now. I spent 4 days after the boat on Nusa Lembongan which is super chill. Great diving there too, I planned to dive 4 days but after 1 day I had enough and just decided to chill.

I've had friends who have done the Bali to Komodo itinerary. They felt that diving outside of Komodo was really underwhelming so when you break down the costs for the extra days, they didn't feel like it was worth the premium. With that said, I suggest you use the difference in price to dive in Bali land based or do some more land based diving out of Komodo if you feel like you want more Komodo at the end of it. :)

I would recommend spending a bit of time exploring Bali. Well worth spending a few days. The diving in Tulamben is excellent macro and I gather there are other great dives around Bali. However, the topside is also great and worth exploring. Between the two Mermaid options it would depend on itinerary and time of year. If the extra two days got me more dives in the more remote parts of Komodo then that would be attractive, but if it were just a day travelling from Bali to Komodo and a day returning then go with the shorter trip and explore Bali.

There is no wrong answer here all options are good - except once you do this you will have to budget to return regularly.

I've done the MM2 on Bali-Komodo-Bali route twice. It has some dives out of the park. Some of those sites are really great muck sites. The first time we dove a muck site in Bima Bay and it was like 3 sites in Lembeh all rolled into one. They also dive off Sanegane sp? Those sites are awesome too, super nubranch rich sites. Yes the warmup dive at Moyo is mehh compared to all the others, but overall it's a great trip itinerary, and both crews will be top notch along with the food on the MM2 is the best I've had on any LOB or land for that matter. After my first trip I just about imeaditely booked another for the next year.

Yes do spend some time exploring Bali, if your a muck fan Tulamben is fantastic and there is amazing topside fun all over Bali.

We did a group trip on MM2 then a safari around Bali with the Underwater Tribe. Great combo, highly recommended.

We did a group trip on MM2 then a safari around Bali with the Underwater Tribe. Great combo, highly recommended.

+1 for Bali-Komodo-Bali on Mermaid I or II.

+1 for fly to Komodo and get on Blue Manta

+1 for Ubud - but if you stay a short time, you might not "get it".

+1 for once you dive Indo, there's no going back.

+1 for I bet Underwater Tribe would be a great group to go with.

I don't think I helped much.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom