Byron Bay fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...opular-spot-in-byron-bay-20190924-p52ul2.html
A 37-year-old man died while scuba diving at a popular surfing spot in Byron Bay on Tuesday.

About 11.45am, emergency services were called to The Pass following reports a diver had been pulled from the water unconscious.

Beachgoers nearby performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived.

Despite their best efforts, the man died at the scene. He is yet to be formally identified.

Investigations will continue and a report will be prepared for the Coroner.

The Pass, a stretch of beach between Clarkes Beach and Wategos in Byron Bay, can become hazardous when the swell is big.

Well, having once lived in Bryon Bay for 6 years and regularly surfed the location mentioned (The Pass), and then dived off Byron fairly regularly later in life, this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone scuba diving at 'The Pass'. The dive companys that service the area do however launch (and retrive) their dive boats from the beach at The Pass, and then proceed a couple of miles offshore to dive, usually to Julian Rocks (Marine Reserve), a world class dive spot. But I have never heard of someone scuba diving inshore near the beach and / or small rocky promitory where the waves first start to break.

If it was a snorkler snorkling near The Pass, I wouln't be so surprised, but scuba diving around the shoreline in the shallows near The Pass seems very odd.

But hey, there's a first time for everthing! So maybe this guy just liked to shore dive and it must have been a very flat no waves day.

Whatever, condolences to his friends and family.

A friend saw a TV report which implied he was on one of the dive boats and this was where the ambulance came to collect him off their boat. So, badly written story. He said they said it was a heart attack.

37 year old heart attacks are rare.

37 year old heart attacks are rare.
Agree, personally I never believe this as a claim, too many other things get written off easily by authorities as "heart attack" for dive accidents.

A friend saw a TV report which implied he was on one of the dive boats and this was where the ambulance came to collect him off their boat. So, badly written story. He said they said it was a heart attack.

I thought as much, but the artcle was so specific. 'Badly written story' is putting it mildly.

How could the newspaper get it so wrong?

Wow, what a stupid question!!!:banghead:

After all, many reporters never let the facts get in they way of their rush to print a 'good story'

Back
Top Bottom