New Diver Wet Suit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey All, I'm new to diving, are their any advantages or disadvantages between 1-piece wet suites and individual pieces that you can mix and match? Thanks.

If you are talking about rash guards the answer is probably no.

If you are talking about wetsuits the answer is yes there are advantages and disadvantages to one piece and multi-piece wetsuits.

If you can describe the specific wetsuits you are considering it would help the board offer you advice.

Howdy from Texas, and welcome to Scubaboard! Dive in, the water's fine! It depends on where you will be diving, but a 3mil wetsuit is a prudent starting point.

A 2 piece Jacket and John are what I used for many years. The advantage is you can scale depending on the water temp. Just the Jacket is good for mild water (over 80) and is great for lobstering where you always seem to scratch your arms. You can also put on a skin under it for rash guarding your legs. When the water is colder, put on the John and you have 6 mil on your chest and 3mil arms and legs. If it's really cold add a Vest/hood combo and you get up to 9 mil on your chest.

NOTE - The jacket HAS to fit well. If you raise your arms up and it creates "Wings" between your upper arm and chest (Pulls well away from your arm pits), then every time you move your arms it will suck cold water in...does no good.

Benefits of a good 3 mil full is full-body coverage and a little better flex in the material. However, many stretch 3 mil suits really only give you 2 mil of insulation.

It would help a great deal to know where you’ll be diving and what water temps. If you know where you’ll be diving but maybe don’t know the water temps, there are a lot of people here who probably can help.
Wetsuit configurations and materials vary wildly.

7 mil "farmer john" has pants that cover the torso plus the jacket, so 14 mil on the core torso area. I'm sure some use this in NC, maybe even in summer. Depends on cold tolerance of course.

I've never tried farmer johns (I've only ever seen them in 7mm) but the wetsuit really depends on your own tolerance. I don't get all that cold, so just a one piece 7mm is fine for me down to 45F when my buddies will freeze their butts off in 7mm farmer john sets within 20 minutes. And if the water is warm enough to wear a 3mm or 5mm, I just go in a bikini or a rashguard at most. When I do wear 5mm wetsuits, it's because I'm going deep or I'm scared of jellyfish. So think about your own cold tolerance and if you would benefit from extra layers on your core or if it would just make you overheat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom