Poll - Will this partial closure of marine park affect your future plans to visit Cozumel?

Will this partial closure of the marine park affect your future plans to visit Cozumel?

• I'm not going back until it re-opens. Those were my favorite sites.

Votes: 37 19.8%
  • I may still go but maybe not as often.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • I'll go anyway because there are still plenty of great sites.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it shakes out.

Votes: 41 21.9%
  • I don't know. I just don't know. Decisions are hard.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other, of course.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I created this poll on my dive club's forums and thought it would be interesting to do so here as well. Please discuss your answers.

I know there is an active discussion thread already but let's try to narrow the discussion here to the poll question and not about identifying causes and solutions or assigning blame or debating climate change.

I'll be back in November, since I rent a house in Cozumel, but I'll be spending more time diving Xcalak/Baja.

I don't plan to dive more than 3 days in Cozumel when most of my favorite spots are closed.

will it affect my planning ?...... yes. just not sure by how much. but if the reef needs it, i am all for it. probably should have been done a long time ago.

Divers are not creating this situation , the Marine Park is blaming it on cruise ships and improper dumping of waste into the waters. Cozumel is building yet another dock so even more cruise ships can port.... absolutely ridiculous !!! Too many as it is !! Closing that part of the reef for 3 months will accomplish nothing for reversal of what’s going on. Perhaps the only accomplishment will be awareness of how fragile it is. There is big money for every cruise ship docking there and that will never stop..... nor will boat loads of tourists plastered with “toxic to the reef” sunscreen all over them daily. Most Divers wear wetsuits , not sunscreen. I’m still going in November ( to answer the poll) but concerned once they realize the open reefs will become quite busy and perhaps start to limit the visits per day.... that would seem logical to me eventually.

I too am going in November. I wouldn't have if I would have known this was going to happen. I was very seriously planning on moving there in 5 years. Those plans are now on hold until this works out. Man (yes I did my part) has destroyed many coral reefs around the planet. So sad.

Sounds like it will be re-opened before my next trip.

I too am going in November. I wouldn't have if I would have known this was going to happen. I was very seriously planning on moving there in 5 years. Those plans are now on hold until this works out. Man (yes I did my part) has destroyed many coral reefs around the planet. So sad.

Same here , would love to move there but with even more cruise ships it’s becoming a giant money grab by the Mexican Govt. and I can’t imaging what it will look like during the day with all the rental vehicles ripping around the island... also driving up the prices for those living there. When are you going ? I’m there in the 23rd of Nov and would appreciate a summary of the diving if you’re there before me. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom