Malaria and Dengue in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MykaDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to North Sulawesi (Manado/Bangka/Lembeh) in a couple weeks. I went to the travel center here a couple months ago and got a few boosters including oral Typhoid. From my own research it seems like the malaria risk in this area is low to none, but the travel center said, "well it's in the red area" and apparently Papua is the epicenter of malaria infection which is only a few hundred km away. A friend of mine travels the area regularly for a few years and has never taken any anti-malarials.

I have the prescription for Malarone, but I haven't filled it yet. Should I fill the prescription and take the pills with me in case one of us get infected, should I actually take the pills as directed, or should I not bother to fill the prescription?

Anyone living there or travel there often that could help shed some light?

EDIT - It looks like this forum isn't super active, so if this thread would be better off in the medical forum, someone please move it. Thanks. :)

I was there in March with18 divers. We all used Malarone. Even a low risk of Malaria offsets any side-effect of the drug. Is there a reason why you don’t want to take it?

None of us complained of any bites while we were there. I never used DEET and I’m a mosquito magnet.

I was there in March with18 divers. We all used Malarone. Even a low risk of Malaria offsets any side-effect of the drug. Is there a reason why you don’t want to take it?

Two reasons, both minor.

1) Possible side-effect of dizziness. I have chronic vertigo, I don't need more. Haha

2) I'll already be taking Cetirizine and Ibuprophen everyday, so I'm trying to avoid another "everyday" medication.

Both of these reasons may be non-issues. Statistically, it is something like 5% chance of dizziness as a side effect. Plus, if I am one of those 5%, I'm not sure I would notice since I'm dizzy everyday, all day anyway. Hahaha!

I’m a mathematician by trade, not a doctor. I would trade the risk of any minor side-affect of Malarone over Malaria. I’m originally from Africa and have seen closeup what that disease can do. Take the medicine.

I’m a mathematician by trade, not a doctor. I would trade the risk of any minor side-affect of Malarone over Malaria. I’m originally from Africa and have seen closeup what that disease can do. Take the medicine.

Ok, will do. You're probably right, and I was leaning that direction already anyway. Thank you.

Use insect repellents. The bigger fear from mosquitos in N Sulawesi is dengue fever not malaria.

Oops missed your post the first time.

The travel center said Dengue wasn't an issue, but you're the second person to mention this. Looking on the Canadian travel website, it say there are no vaccines, so bug spray is the best bet?

Dengue fever - Travel.gc.ca

Ive lived in Indoneisa for 11 years. I go diving everywhere. No one I know even thinks about malaria. Maybe if I was hanging out in most remote Papua would I consider meds... Dengue, however, is a real deal. I have had it. My wife has had it twice. Three words: It. Was. Brutal.

Im no doctor, but malaria meds are not on my radar. My wife is a doctor, and malaria meds are not on her radar either.

That being said... Do take bug spray and netting VERY seriously. Dengue is no joke.

@MykaDives Tell Jojo that Cliff says Hi! She’s the best!

If you want any tips about the trip, PM me. It’s a fantastic experience.

I’ve been diving in Indonesia since 2008. I’ve been diving in Manado (Bunaken & Lembeh) 2x, Raja Ampat 7x, Alor 2x, Bali 10x, Komodo 3x, WaKaToBi 1x. Maratua 1x, only took Malarone 1x in 2009. None afterwards.

After enduring the side effect, I opted to not taking the poison afterwards. I haven’t contracted any malaria or dengue, yet. Knock on wood.

From what I heard those who got malaria were people who hung out in remote mainland Papua, not in Raja Ampat area. The best prevention is to avoid hanging around when mosquitoes are roaming around, like in early morning or late evening outside your bungalow in mainland area. Spray your leg with DEET or cover them (long pants with socks & shoes) if you want to expose yourself in such risky situation. No worries about it if you are in the island or on a liveaboard.

After enduring the side effect, I opted to not taking the poison afterwards. I haven’t contracted any malaria or dengue, yet. Knock on wood.

Dan, I know you don’t mean it but you sound exactly like an anti-vaxxer :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom