About to be fitted for tank/ow dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The challenge is if the instructor knows what to do regarding instruction in that piece of equipment. We still hear "they are for technical diving", "they will push you face forward", etc. being stated by shops that are "in the dark ages" regarding teaching. They don't know, and they don't want to know..

Okay then, here we go.... Not to derail this discussion, but the tendency of a back-inflate to push you forward is the result of (1) too much weight, (2) that weight in the wrong place, (3) expecting a device that is intended to assist you in horizontal trip to hold you vertical at the surface (4) using too much air to attempt to achieve said vertical orientation...

This is what I meant by instructors not knowing what to do to help a student resolve issues...

Now, back to the regular discussion....

As to your first question, it's fine and even IMO a good idea to rent for a while before you buy. But one piece of gear you might want to buy sooner rather than later is a computer. It's nice to have one display you get used to, and a record of your dives.

Nope...it's about taking the time to learn the equipment

and then becoming proficient enough and not having to

Aside from what most folks have mentioned, don't buy anything just yet. An opinion as a novice diver (around 100 dives) I think the jacket BDC's are easier to learn buoyancy control. Also I'm a vacation diver so if I would do it all over again My priorities would be a BDC specifically made for travel, small and light weight. I current dive with a rear inflate Zeagle Ranger and it is a little big and heavy dragging them thru airports and hotels.

My son, around 50 dives who normally rents jack style, used my wing BDC to tag along with his girl friend when she did her open water check out dives and hated it for the most part. They are great underwater but can be horrible at the surface. They are better once you learn where to put weight and body position at the surface but they aren't perfect. In open water classes, you spend quite a bit of time working at the surface.

No gear is perfect but you will need to decide for yourself what works best for the type of diver you become.

Use teh sstuff they provide during the course adn then take time to try several alternates and buy what works best after some mentorship is involved.

As a note there was an instructor that said part of his job instructing,,, was to push gear purchase from the host shop. You are paying for instruction not a private line to home shopping channel. buy intelligently not under pressure.

As you have not yet started pool training, (read the post folks), see if they can rent you the type you eventually want to use. In your case a BP/W.

A BP/W is a bit different to use. The differences are small, but you might as well train with the type you will use.

If they only have (all integrated) back inflates, use it as if it were a BP/W. Which mostly means set the shoulder straps (loosely) on the pool deck and then leave them. There are adjustable BP/W straps, but most find them unnecessary.

If they only have jackets, you may be able to pick up a BP/W before your open water dives. But then treat whatever you use in the pool as much like a BP/W as you can. DiveRite has good ones non expensive ones that your shop might carry. And simple is all you need. See many threads on 'getting a BP/W'.

Good luck, have fun.
thats good advice but how many shops sell them. Shops have ties to specific manufacturers and have to sell that. They sell what clears their shelves not what works best for the student.

The challenge is if the instructor knows what to do regarding instruction in that piece of equipment. We still hear "they are for technical diving", "they will push you face forward", etc. being stated by shops that are "in the dark ages" regarding teaching. They don't know, and they don't want to know..
You are so right on this. Many instructors will not each if you use a BPW. Excuses like it is contrary to reg retrieval and other things is often cited. or they want the same gear on all because they are required to use the same equipment you use and a snorkle. That can not be done if some are in jackets and others are in BPW so they push jackets which they by weird chance have for sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom