The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The swaztika decorates a number of homes in Bali.

That is because it has meaning to the people and has had such meaning long before Germany used it for propaganda.

Am not sure how the svatiska got thrown in, but let's continue with this. This symbol has been around for 5000 years and originates from the Indian subcontinent. Today, it can still be seen in lots of places, from the Middle East to Southeast Asia.
It is an incredibly positive symbol and illustrates the constant raising and setting of the sun. It symbolizes the maintenance of the order of things.
The Nazis took this symbol and turned it upside down with the branches pointing in the opposite direction from the original symbol. I guess the idea was to symbolize the disruption that these idiots were aiming at. In a way, it's similar to taking a Christian cross and hanging it upside down...
That's pretty much what I had to explain to an incredulous British diver who was telling off a Balinese dive guide for wearing one on a necklace a couple years ago!

Beyond that, back in Turkey 15 years ago, the OK sign was used as a kind of game. When someone showed it to you and you looked, you earned the right to get punched (usually on the shoulder or lap). Can anyone guess what the symbol expressed?

It doesn't mean we can't still use it. It is just saying that this symbol is being used by hate groups as a symbol of their idiocy, but not that anyone who uses it is automatically a racist. If anything, we should continue to use it "properly" and not let them have it.

I'm a University of Texas alum. When you see our fans at a football game, they aren't all making that particular hand symbol because they showing you how much they love rock music or the devil.:rocker: Context is key.

Just as this doesn't mean I wish to mutilate cattle.

p23593-Z-03292018052724((664x800)).jpg

Just sayin'.

The scuba industry will have to create a new one...

Personally , i wouldn't change how i give the OK symbol because some extreme racists decided to use the same thing.

Regardless of scuba diving , the OK signal has always been used by many people to symbol... OK.

Some symbols or words have many different meanings, context is very important.

Two things I have learned from this thread:
#1 I have a new favorite poster, @kmarks, “Hook ‘em”

#2 I have a new least favorite poster, @ibj40, “November 24th 2011, UT 27 a&m 25.”

Two things I have learned from this thread:
#1 I have a new favorite poster, @kmarks, “Hook ‘em”

#2 I have a new least favorite poster, @ibj40, “November 24th 2011, UT 27 a&m 25.”

bevo_branded.1917.02.12.jpg

C1vl2O.gif

But, but, but, this is what NAUI and PADI taught me. :)

More pearl clutching. Guess what, Google Maps is covered in swastikas in certain parts of the world.

The swaztika decorates a number of homes in Bali.
The Buddhist swastika is quite different from the Nazi swastika. They are rotated 45 degrees to each other and are mirrored. Except for the superficial appearance, they have nothing in common.

Many years ago I had my first trip to Japan. I did several double-takes over the city maps before I understood that difference. The standard symbol on those maps for a Buddhist temple was the Buddhist swastika.

Let's Calm down and keep breathing, okay? (damn, see how that slipped in?)
Seriously, we're giving the Hitler youth way too much air time and importance by getting concerned about an innocent and otherwise useful hand signal. Just keep using it, it will confuse the sieg-heil kids and keep them from co-opting something useful to us divers and at how many construction sites or other places where you really need hand signals.
This too will pass, and we'll keep giving this signal underwater and on land, long after this media-overheat kerfluffle has died down.

Back
Top Bottom