RAID Cave 1 - Good Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's everybody's personal choice if you trust your life to the shutdown/analysis process and to your buddy's competence and presence, but you may one day notice that for many people this is not OK at all. They want to be self-reliant even when diving with a buddy, and they do not trust the valve shutdown in a stressful situation enough to trust their life on it.

So you had two incidents and survived, congratulations. Now you believe that's proof it works every time and there's no need for further redundancy. Good luck with that.

If you're diving sidemount because you lack the ability to work a manifold correctly under pressure (or just don't trust/understand what you're doing) or are diving with people who lack the ability to assist you, we're having two very different conversations and there really isn't more to say.

And I'd argue that sidemount offers less redundancy in both of my issues and probably better redundancy in my buddy's situation. I don't know where you got the takeaway you did from my comment. But you seem to be implying that sidemount always offers better redundancy when that's clearly false.

Bit OT but I'd be interested in what gas management protocols people use if solo on doubles and stages, happy to start a new thread if preferred.

Bit OT but I'd be interested in what gas management protocols people use if solo on doubles and stages, happy to start a new thread if preferred.

I don't do any solo diving, but one of my buddies used to. He was pretty conservative about it. Stayed in bigger cave, always carried a full 80 as a safety, and stayed within a distance he could swim out on that single 80. Think he also used sixths instead of thirds as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom