Who are the marine scientists on this forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinfieldNC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I started working at a university in NC three years ago after 15+ in the biotech industry. I am staff not faculty. I work as a molecular biologist on plant viruses. One of the perks of working at a university is the ability to take free classes so I enrolled in our Marine Science program and started working toward another BS. During this time I requested to be added to the group of marine scientists on this forum. My workload increased and I didn't have the time to pursue the marine science degree so I dropped out of the group for marine scientists because I didn't want to misrepresent myself.

I am curious as to who the marine scientists are on this forum and in what capacity? Is it by degree, a hobby or by profession?

Semi-retired marine ecologist here. Studied marine phycology and kelp forest ecology in grad school (UCSB) years ago and ecology as an undergrad (Harvard). Although I did some research and have published several peer-reviewed papers, my main focus has been education.

I'm a student, so give me 6 years to finish undergrad and a PhD and then I can say I'm a full on marine scientist

6 years to finish undergrad and a PhD and then I can say I'm a full on marine scientist

Depending on where you are in your U/G program, 6 years might be a bit ambitious. These days 6 years is not unusual just for the Ph.D. Don't be in a hurry simply for the sake of the degree. Take in everything you can along the way!

Back to the original question, I'm a faculty member studying animal sensory ecology, cognition, and evolutionary biology. Most of my work is terrestrial though.

It takes 6 years for the typical bachelors' degree now at many universities, with so many students taking lighter class loads so they can work/play on phone/vape.

But I was enrolled in college for over 15 years so I really shouldn't complain.

It takes 6 years for the typical bachelors' degree now at many universities, with so many students taking lighter class loads so they can work/play on phone/vape.

But I was enrolled in college for over 15 years so I really shouldn't complain.

I don't think I've ever met a bachelor's student who took 6 years at the same institution. Took some years, then transferred or took some years, took off time, and went back to finish or pursue a different degree. 6 years is becoming more typical for a PhD but 4 years is, I think, still the average for bachelor's. Despite what the news might make people think, colleges aren't simply fancy buildings within which to vape and play around

I'm another phycologist. On faculty at a small private university. I work on the causes and consequences of macroalgal blooms.

I'll also second @RyanT s comment on time to PhD, at least in the Americas. I took 8 years, though started to soon as a precocious 20 year old. (I also taught full time the last 3 years.). A friend was making good progress yet was 10 years into her program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom