Snorkeling fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My gf can't decide between Mares manta fins and Seac ala fins. On the Mares fins the big toe sticks out and she thinks she will get sore there + risk tearing it up against stones. Would a possible solution be to go one size above her shoesize (39) and have socks on? The seac fin on the other hand seems a bit simple in design as well as maybe a slightly larger.
Are the fins equivalent for snorkelling in the Mediterranean? Mares fins have higher edges on the sides and holes on the fins is that an advantage? She has bad knees also, if there's any difference between the fins on that part?

Why not Seac fuga? It looks more powerfull.
Check this topic Travel fins
I made my proposal there (Salvas flippers) - first make a choice by weight :)
For knee saving - I think it more related to the swimming style.
For example - see here how one of the most famous freedivers swims with long fins:
straight legs, minimal knee flexion ...
and not fast ... slow motion

Hi Ronny
I never used those fins, I always used long Cressi fins and since several year ‘RGZ carbon’ with thin neoprene sock of 3 or 5mm depending on the water temperature
Between the Mares and the Sea, I prefer Mares Manta fins, which look more reliable, and to wear with neoprene socks, it's more comfortable.

Considered also these fins
=>
And train as much as you can without bending your legs. It can take several hours of adjustment for the muscles and joints of your legs.

How to Swim with Flippers (don't bend your legs) => hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIytH9X_ag

And OK for Mediterranean (where I spend at least 30 periods of holidays before to go in red Sea, Maldives and Indonesia.)

The differences I saw is due to the environment… Coral to avoid to destroy with fins.

Full foot fins is a better choice, for snorkeling or freediving…But RONNY doesn't seems to be interested by our answers despite the time we spend to document him ;-(

When it comes to snorkelling fins, think first about fit, comfort and blade flexibility before considering which make and model you want. Try them on before purchase. If toes protrude too far through toe openings, a risk indeed increases that the foot pocket material will tear around the edges. You may be much better off choosing a larger-sized model worn over booties or under fin grips (below).
1920px-Yellow_fin_grip_retaining_a_Technisub_Ala_swimming_fin_on_the_foot.jpg
While fins with extra-stiff blades may help in strong currents, they may also cause fatigue when they are worn over lengthy periods. So consider where and how you intend to snorkel when you select fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom