Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any city that treats street run off. I just mentioned that it is added to the channel.

Chicago - Deep Tunnel ?

TARP

upload_2019-9-28_9-47-46.gif
upload_2019-9-28_9-47-46.gif

Wow. That kind of blows his credibility, IMO. Rampant touching of hard corals by divers may happen sometime, somewhere, but I haven't seen it at Cozumel myself.
Here in the keys it was said that fish might of been spreading it from coral to coral

Here in the keys it was said that fish might of been spreading it from coral to coral
That certainly seems more reasonable to me than spreading by divers handling coral.

Wow. That kind of blows his credibility, IMO. Rampant touching of hard corals by divers may happen sometime, somewhere, but I haven't seen it at Cozumel myself.

Oh the Marine Park quoted a study that the average Coz diver kicked the reef some ridiculous amount of times saying there were like 30K kicks to the reef per day....

Oh the Marine Park quoted a study that the average Coz diver kicked the reef some ridiculous amount of times saying there were like 30K kicks to the reef per day....

That might very well be true at Paradise where more beginners are likely to be, but most divers at the sites being closed would be more than just beginners and “most” would not be kicking the reef around. Try again Marine Park people.

I was on a Coz dive trip recently where a complete azzwipe was grabbing on to coral, kicking funnel coral and even pushing his fellow divers out of the way just to get a crappy GoPro video. The DM gave him a warning and the guy just kept at it. He even tried to push my teenage son out of the way while he was taking a photo of an eel. I grabbed the moron by his fin and I signaled to him to back-off. He gave me a shrug and kept on going. When we got back to the boat, the DM launched on the idiot and told him he was done diving with them. I did not see the idiot for the rest of our trip. Props to the DM.

I think it is more of a 'oh crap our coral is dying and there are no answers from FL who has been looking at it for a while, but we have to do something, so lets close some of the park. Oh and lets not let this emergency go to waste. We can generate concern and maybe get more resources to help our program generally...'

...and let's sacrifice the good will of those who discovered the incredible reefs of Cozumel in the first place. Those who care most about the quality of those reefs. Those who would do more than anyone to save those reefs. The scuba divers...

...and let's sacrifice the good will of those who discovered the incredible reefs of Cozumel in the first place. Those who care most about the quality of those reefs. Those who would do more than anyone to save those reefs. The scuba divers...

And take the food of the tables of the hard working people that have been taking people out to see the reefs.

You know... Cuz we have to do something.

Amen, brother. But you know...those cruise ships need more piers, so let's sacrifice what started the whole tourism thing on the island in the first place. Forget those water sports people who pay a handsome sum for permits for each butt in a seat on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom